Saturday, August 6, 2011

Going to Nature







I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs


I can relate to this.  There have been many times when the "world" has gotten to me and nature has restored my balance.  I can remember one time in California at my aunt's home when I went to the grocery store to get a traveler's checked cashed.  The manager would not accept it.  It was an American Republic check from my Credit Union rather than the more common American Express brand.  I was frustrated and I did not like his patronizing manner.  I went up to my aunt's and went out on the back yard which overlooked Los Angeles and had a beautiful view.  I watched the sky grow dark and the lights come on and the afterglow of the sunset and I was all right again.

When we were at the lake in Minnesota if I was feeling uptight after a little while of living in close proximity to my mother and sister and being at Mom's beck and call to take her on "excursions" I would sometimes drive over to Kabekona Bay on Leech Lake to watch the sun go down.  By the time it was below the horizon I was fine.

When I taught school in Cedar Rapids I would sometimes become very up tight because the last year I was there I had a son of a bitch for a principal. The first principal (Mr. Benz) I had was a wonderful man.  I really enjoyed him and he was very supportive.  This one was something else.  One of the thing which helped me get through the rough times was the fact that the place where I was renting backed up against some old growth timber that was still in its natural state.  There was a little creek running through it and a log to sit on.  Some mornings or evenings I would need a nature "recharge" so I would go down and sit and watch the water flow. It really kept me sane.  

There is something very special about being out in the woods and sometimes being out there when it is raining as we did with the kids on Eco trips gives you a feeling that you can pull up whenever you need it.  So the quote above rings very true to me.  Have a great week-end.  It looks to be a nice day.  Hugs and thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Anna left this comment which my fat fingers accidently deleted.

I agree with you. Sometimes living in the city's concrete jungle makes me crazy and I go to the green spaces or to the country to soothe my soul. It's amazing what a change of scene can do.