Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Salute XVI



By now you may have discovered a pattern for these Sunday Salutes.  They are all my contemporaries.  They are also people who have made or are making a difference in our world.  People who I admire and am glad that they share the world with me.


Rachel Anne Maddow  (born April 1, 1973) is an American television host, political commentator, and author.  Maddow hosts a nightly television show, The Rachel Maddow Show, on MSNBC.  Her syndicated talk radio program of the same name aired on Air America Radio. Maddow is the first openly gay anchor of a prime-time news program in the United States. 
Asked about her political views by the Valley Advocate, Maddow replied, "I'm undoubtedly a liberal, which means that I'm in almost total agreement with the Eisenhower-era Republican party platform."   From Wikipedia.


I don't think about people watching me on TV. I think it would stress me out.

Having a place out of the city is a shortcut toward the mental reset I need.

I loved being on the radio. Being paid to talk? It's like being paid to eat.

The problem that I think is reasonable to assert about Fox and its coverage is that they make up stories out of whole cloth and then make a big deal out of them.

So this is the only TV show in America where I am quite confident that you, the audience, will share my excitement when I tell you that coming up in our next segment, we have the best graph ever. Best graph ever.

If the colonists hadn't rejected British militarism and the massive financial burden of maintaining the British military, America wouldn't exist.

I think that presidents don't give up power that has accrued to them by the precedent of previous presidents. Even when they say they would like to, I think once they get there they don't give it up.

My life is better with every year of living it.

Previous Salutes
 Matt Damon  Jehan Sadat   Jane Goodall    Mohandas Gandhi  
 Eleanor Roosevelt    Lyndon B. Johnson      Michelle Obama
Helen Hayes   Marion Wright Edelman     Bishop Gene Robinson
Bishop Desmond Tutu       Rachel Carson          Helen Keller
Martin Luther King, Jr          Dalai Lama         Dag Hammarskjold

No comments: