Sunday, July 15, 2007

Aspects of Masonry



I was looking at Tim's latest post on Masonic Ciphers over at Freemasonry Resources and it got me to thinking about the Masonic ritual and ciphers, etc. For some the RITUAL is everything. They memorize the entire ritual - Yes the entire ritual - and they take a test and become a Masonic Instructor and then learn the floor work (Square corners and all) and eventually they become a District Lecturer. The system in Iowa is such that is it (usually) only these people who go on to become Grand Officers and eventually Grand Masters. That is the system I grew up with. It perpetuates itself.

That is all well and good - to a point. For these Brothers (sometimes) the Ritual is the end all and be all of the Fraternity. Ritual learning is easy for them and they revel in it. Sure they make mistakes but there is always one or two around and they correct each other and they also go to ritual schools (for an inordinate amount of time) to maintain their proficiency. I admire them, I really do but I also have problems with this mentality.

Ritual is important. It is the skeleton upon which Masonry hangs. Jim Sears and I had this discussion years ago when he was Master. He wrote an article for the Newsletter about it. It is not, however, all there is to Masonry

Ritual, well performed and dramatically presented is beautiful to behold. (Now the Board of Grand Custodians will disagree with me on the dramatically performed statement - but you know where they are coming from.) The initiation for the brother who undergoes this experience is (can be) a life changing one.

I hate ritual which is given in a sing-song way or so overly dramatic that the performance takes away the meaning of the work. Bill Yungclas, Ron Linhart are three great ritualists who come to mind. There are others that I could mention but these three put real meaning into their work. The words are understandable and meaningful and the presentation is such that it is easily followed and the candidate can actually learn something from it. There are others (who I won't mention) who just say the words. Ritual is essentially a Mystery Play designed to teach certain valuable lessons.

I have learned a fair amount of ritual in my time. Perhaps the first was the posting lectures when I took my degrees. Having to memorize the questions and answers to these lectures and then recite them in open Lodge was a great experience. You are supposed to learn them "mouth to ear" without anything written down. (in practice there is a "little book" you can use that Tim describes in his blog entry) It taught me a lot about myself and it also had an impact on my teaching. thereafter I always made my students memorize and recite a poem for me. Learning to memorize is a good thing.

Iowa has done away with this experience and it is sad. It took a little longer to become a Mason but it was a valuable experience. First of all it proved that you were able to learn something and secondly you formed a bond with the person who taught you. It also gave you a great feeling of accomplishment because these were not easy. (Two men a father and son learned both the questions and the answers and asked and answered them for their proficiency. That was really a great thing to see.)

We seem to think that quantity is important right now so over the years we first shortened the requirement and then did away with it all together. I find that there are always people who want to change things and others who want keep things as they were. My jury is still out on the experiment. We have some great new Masons in my Lodge and they are just as active as the ones who came in under the old system. Of course being a college town many join and them move on. They take their Masonry with them.

What I started out trying to write about and I see I am (as usual) going on far to long was that RITUAL is not the only aspect of Freemasonry that we should concern ourselves with. The entire Masonic experience is like a multi faceted jewel. You can look at it from many sides.

On one side it is a business. In many cases a big business. The officers must understand cash flow, revenue and expenditures and they must plan for future growth.

Another side of the coin is the Charity work. By their very nature Masons are charitable. Perhaps the greatest Masonic Charity is the Shrine. These Masons do wonderful work with the Shrine Hospitals.

Shriners like to party and that is a controversial aspect of their organization. But there is a long tradition of Masons liking to party also. they used to meet in Taverns around the "festive board" with feasting and toasting. Then they would sing and eventually parade home in loud noisy groups. That , of course, has all changed although we do have more controlled Table Lodges today. In fact Arcadia Lodge is having its Annual Table Lodge this coming Friday night. If you want tickets they are still available (sorry ladies, you have to be a Mason to attend) Just send me an e-mail ($30.)

Leadership training is a neglected part of Masonry. The Rainbow Girls advertise, Public Speaking, Poise, Leadership, Fun, as parts of their program. In Texas they have Wardens Retreats where they get all the Senior and Junior Wardens (future Masters) together for training. Iowa uses the Lodge Service Committee Grand Master's Area Meetings, Neighborhood Meetings and Secretaries Conferences as aspects of leadership training. some attempt was made in the Grand Chapter Royal Arch Masons to have leadership sessions and the Grand Chapter of Eastern Star has "Vision Meetings" but by in large I think we lag behind in "organized" Leadership training in the state.

The most important aspect of Masonry for me is the bonding between Brothers. Joseph Fort Newton says this about the Men's House in primitive culture:
" It was called the Men’s House, a secret lodge in which every young man, when he came to maturity, was initiated into the law legend and tradition of his people. ..it was really the center of early tribal life, council chamber, the guest house, the place of meeting for men, where laws were made and courts were held, and where the trophies of war were treasured” “It is not easy to exaggerate the importance of these secret lodges in the formative period of society in promoting that sense of kinship, sanctity, and loyalty which lies at the roots of law, order and religion


For me that is what Masonry is. Not just the ritual, the business, the leadership opportunities. It is the bonding with other men and associating with them in a comon cause to do good in the world.

Newton also said:
"Freemasonry appeals to me, first, by its fellowship; and next to the home and House of God, it is the most blessed influence in my life. Its simple and profound faith, its wise and practical philosophy – uniting the wisdom of love with the love of wisdom – illumine my mind, as its genius of fraternity warms my heart. But still more Masonry appeals to me as an agency for the organization of moral faith, practical brotherhood, and social idealism, the worth and power of which have not yet realized."


I don't think Masonry has yet realized that power and worth. I do know that for me it is a powerful influence in my life and I am grateful that my mother once said to me "You might enjoy the Masons." I certainty have.
Love someone. Hugs, j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fine article Brother Jay! I'm looking to work on my MI soon. But, I never want to lose sight of the deeper purposes of Freemasonry.