Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Charlotte Ashlock

Charlotte Ashlock was a student of mine at Edwards Elementary School. She is a gifted, talented writer and I loved her writing. When I was in the hospital she sent me pages of her poetry and writings and they helped me get through the experience.

She and her family (all very talented, by the way) moved to Canada and I lost touch. I was wondering about them and went out and "googled" them and found them and I also found one of her poems. I love the imagery in it. I understand she is in college out East. Her mother said she was going to ask her to send me some of her poems but so far they haven't come into my in-box. Charlotte, if you ever read this my addresses are: JaycoleS@aol.com or JaycoleS@gmail.com -- In the meantime here is her poem.

First Place -
Time
by Charlotte Rachel Ashlock
We all spin in the circles of time
A vast merry-go-round, all frantically
Clutching the tip of the clock's hand
All getting dizzier and dizzier as each turning of days
Brings us again and again
Through the same weary old hours.
O stop this endless spinning!
Let me walk to the center of the clock
And stand unmoved and certain,
Watching the world move around me.
Let me feel something solid under my feet.
I need to know who I am.

No comments: