Monday, July 30, 2007

An Incomplete List

A few of my favorite authors with links to websites about them. They are in no particular order and by no means is this a complete list.

Taylor Caldwell

Captains and Kings was definitely one of my favorite of her books.

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Among other things she created a most fascinating world of Darkover. In doing so she commented on many contemporary problems in our world and offered many solutions. She also wrote The Mists of Avalon books. (Warning there is annoying music on the site so turn your speakers off if that bothers you.)

Ms. Bradley is also, at least partly responsible for the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Colleen McCullough

A prolific author from Australia. Among her other books is the Masters of Rome Series and wonder of wonders I just found out that in September there is another one coming out. Anthony and Cleopatra. I have enjoyed these books a lot as I did her other books.

Piers Anthony

I have enjoyed his books for years. Especially the Xanth series which are full of puns which are interspersed all through his books. Gradually his books became more "adult" and I didn't keep them in the classroom library but I still enjoyed them a lot.

J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit alone would make him one of my favorite authors but the Lord of the rings puts him right up there. Oddly enough the first time I tried reading them I could not get into them at all. Later I picked them up again and sat for days reading them straight through. This was in a converted chicken coop at my grandfather's place north of Ames which I used as a room when I came home from college.

Spider Robinson

His series about Callahan's Crosstime Saloon has some of my favorite books in it.

Elizabeth Peters

Her books with Amelia Peabody set in Egypt are always a good read and I look forward to each one that comes out.

James Patterson

I always enjoy his books. Alex Cross and the Women's Murder Club are always enjoyable to read.

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb
(Again a warning on the sound - Annoying commercial on the web site)

There are a lot of other authors I find enjoyable. I will add them from time to time but that is enough for today. I am going to Acanthus today to help shuck corn for the corn feed tomorrow.

Remeber you are loved, Love someone in return. Hugs, jcs

No comments: