Monday, July 9, 2007

Sadie Cole



I want to spend a few moments with my grandmother, Sadie Cole. I called my grandmother Ma and worshiped her. In fact, I don’t believe I ever heard anyone say a bad word against her.

She had been married once before but her first husband died. They had one child my Aunt Ethlynn whom everyone called “Sis.” The story goes that on the day she married her first husband someone saw my grandfather on the street and because of the look of despair on his face asked him what was wrong. He answered, “The only woman I will ever love got married today.” After her husband died he paid suit to her and married her and had five girls with her. All of my aunts were wonderful but I was most fortunate in my mother as she was much like my grandmother in temperament.

My grandmother was a wonderful cook and we had Sunday dinners and holiday dinners at our house. We moved in with them after my parents were divorced (I was about 3 or 4) and lived on the Hog Cholera Research Station where they discovered Chrystal Violet Vaccine. (You can read about it by clicking on the link. My grandfather was Dr. C.G. Cole) My grandfather was the head of the Station. When I was in Fifth grade we moved out of there as my mother had remarried and my stepfather took us to Atlantic, Iowa. Later they were divorced and we moved back with my grandparents. By this time my grandfather had retired and moved to the north side of Ames. This was in the Gilbert High School district and again I was fortunate to be able to go to school there with its small classes and caring teachers.

My grandmother had an antique shop on the front porch and I grew up around beautiful things. Art glass, Wedgwood, cut glass and interesting furniture were among the many things we enjoyed. Many people came to her shop and we always had to stop what we were doing to wait on customers. She did not worry about the "small stuff". In fact, she and my mother split the duties. She would cook and mom would clean up. (My grandfather vacuumed). One time she took some people to the basement to look through a box. Someone (probably my mother) asked about letting them go down there as it was not too clean at the time. My grandmother's response was, "They can like it or lump it."

She was the type of person that everyone loved and I was fortunate to have grown up with two "mothers" - The only time my grandfather ever got mad at me was when I said something which hurt my grandmother's feelings. I deserved it and I have always tried to remember that lesson. To this day I do not consciously try to hurt someones feelings. I am not always successful but I try.

My grandmother’s father was a lawyer, educated in Madison, Wisconsin. He had been mayor of Ames and Master of Arcadia Lodge Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. My grandfather’s family moved here in 1865. They came by rail and first settled near the area of Homewood Golf Course. Later (1875) they moved to the home place at 13th and Burnett. The house I remember as belonging to my three maiden aunts. Originally the Coles had come from Ireland and settled in western Massachusetts. They were farmers and bricklayers and builders.

I have a wonderful heritage and wish I could do justice to my grandparents in this entry but I can't. Just one more tale which illustrates what type of people they were. Whenever they could they would help people. One lady with a large family lost her husband. She was alone with at least 4 children. My grandparents with a large family of their own took them in and endeavoured to help them. They have remained close to us until they passed on. I always thought they were related to us. In a way I guess they were. They were related by Spirit rather than blood. To me that is probably a more important tie.

Be loved, Hugs, j

No comments: