Friday, July 13, 2007

Oh Really!

I gave my friend Taner a hard time last evening. (But that is OK because he always gives me a hard time.) He use the current word in vogue 'Really' in response to something I said.

Taner is not the only person who does this. It is pervasive in our society and I really dislike it (Hate is too strong a word but it comes to mind.) A former friend of mine once said "Really" in response to my calling her and telling her that I couldn't pick her up because my car wouldn't start. I said something like "No, I am just telling you that because I don't want to pick you up." My sarcasm went right over her head.

People use these words with out thinking." Actually they probably use them because they don't have to think. It is an automatic conditioned response. They use them to fill in space in a conversation. Generally because they are not thinking. Sometimes "Really" is just not an appropriate response - REALLY!

I don't usually say anything about it but Taner is a good enough friend with a well developed sense of humor and he seems to delight in putting me on the spot.

There have always been words or overworked phrases used this way in our society. I used to campaign against them in my classroom. Sometimes they are poor grammar that creeps in and everybody starts to us it. My students used to say "Me and _____" all the time. I would tell them that there were no mean people allowed in the classroom.

Some people use a "catch phrase" as punctuation. One person I know uses "and that" others use "you know" in place of a pause in a sentence. I used to play a game and count the number of times the phrase came up in conversation. Again, I would tell my students that they should not use "you know" as punctuation.

I think it would be hilarious if, for example,reporters would respond to George Bush when he makes one of his patronizing pronouncements by saying "Oh, Really" - I wonder what he would do?

Anyway that is my rant for today. I am not going to change people but at least I got it "off my chest" (Should I say anything about a cliché ?) At least I don't correct my adult friends in public (usually) as the former friend I mentioned earlier once did. She corrected my grammar in front a wait person. Maybe that is one of the reasons she is a former friend. (By the way I checked with several others and my use of the word was correct - Ha!)

By the way my "Grammer" died in 1959.

I am really kind of tired today. I woke up about 5:00 with something for Knight Masons on my mind to do so I came out and worked on it. I have four packets of material ready to give to the chairman of the By-laws committee when I see him tomorrow. So i think I will post this and nap. Have a good Friday the 13th.

Love someone - Hugs, jcs

4 comments:

Larry said...

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who has noticed Tanners use of the word "really"

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Yes Larry, but you should know - just as you like the "c" in your name Taner has only one n in his..

Larry said...

Good point jayy sorry Taner

Taner said...

I just read your blog. How should I say? Your blog is LIKE so COOL, Jay. :) The funny thing is that I didn't even notice that I am using "oh really" that often. So you can imagine my surprise...Lary, I will visit your blog soon... Jay, about the Thursday night: bro, I am always behind you.. but murder and treason excepted, especially when you become R#3! ;)