Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A Good Man

Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone? -Thomas Wolfe, novelist
(1900-1938)


In a tribute I wrote to my mother at the time of her death I used this quote from "You Can't Go Home Again" by Thomas Wolfe -

"Something has spoken to me in the night, burning the tapers of the waning year; something has spoken to me in the night, and told me I shall die, I know not where.

Saying:

"To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing;
to lose the life you have, for greater life;
to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving;
to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth --

"--Whereon the pillars of this earth are founded, toward which the conscience of the world is tending -- a wind is rising and the rivers flow."

A good friend and Brother Maxie Yates passed this past week. He was from Sioux City and I will miss him. My world was brighter because I knew him. I extend to his family my sympathy.

No comments: