Sunday, October 19, 2008

For Today

Quote for today

Our nation has to stop equating intellect with elitism and viewing intelligence with scorn and skepticism. Considering the problems at hand, there is no better time than now to change our thinking.

Idaho Statesman

Now go over to Wounded Bird and read the Sunday School Humor that Grandmère Mimi has posted. You really should make this a regular stop on your Blogaroundreading.

I did not do anything worth reporting on today. Something I have on my mind:

Honey Bees. - Why are they disappearing and what can we do about it? Are they our canary in the mind shaft?


Aside from the loss of honey, (my favorite) this will be a disaster for agriculture. Besides I just discovered Honey Liquor and someone told me about an anise flavored Honey Liquor - Xtabentun and I haven't had any of it yet. But I just ordered some on-line. I may share some of it with a friend or two. But they will have to like licorice.

B & B. Benedictine and Brandy is very nice. I enjoy a glass of it after a particularly heavy meal. It takes away the stuffy feeling.

For someone who doesn't drink much I do enjoy it when I do. I got along without it for many years while I was a member of a church which did not allow drinking. Now that I no longer belong to that church I enjoy a drink once in awhile. I have an unopened bottle of Templeton Rye that I am planning on trying. You can read the story of this Iowa prohibition era booze by clicking on the name in the last sentence. They have a neat web site.

I really did nothing today worth mentioning. Thus you get this little lesson in the randomness of my (warped) brain. Have a great week. ARTYAL - Hugs. j

Addendum

I subscribe to A Word A Day and this weeks first word just came. I want to share it with you.
Two years in the making, the 2008 US presidential election will take place two weeks from now. By the time the campaigns end, the candidates will have spent more than a billion dollars trying to get the job. All those bucks for a position that earns less than half million dollars a year and lasts only four years! But weighing the post by its salary is like saying that Olympic athletes sweat for years just to pocket a few hundred dollars' worth of gold.

The post of President of the United States carries immense power to make decisions that affect, for better or worse, people the world over. The effect of the actions of a president last for years and eponyms (words coined after someone's name) enter the language that reflect their legacy, such as Reaganomics, teddy bear (after Theodore Roosevelt), etc.

This week I have selected five words that appear to have been coined after this year's presidential candidates (Obama, Biden, McCain, and Palin). These are all 100% dictionary words -- they have been in the language even before these candidates were born.

Enjoy these words, and don't forget to vote!
obambulate
PRONUNCIATION:
(o-BAM-byuh-layt)

MEANING:
verb tr.: To walk about.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin ob- (towards, against) + ambulare (to walk). Ultimately from the Indo-European root ambhi- (around) that is also the source of ambulance, alley, preamble, and bivouac. The first print citation of the word is from 1614.

USAGE:
"We have often seen noble statesmen obambulating (as Dr. Johnson would say) the silent engraving-room, obviously rehearsing their orations."
The Year's Art; J.S. Virtue & Co.; 1917.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here and you are out there. -Yasutani Roshi, Zen master (1885-1973)


You can subscribe to the e-mail by clicking here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bro, Jay, some folks might like to read the entire editorial you refer to at the beginning of this post. It can be found at

http://www.idahostatesman.com/editorial/story/542582.html

(copy and paste...)

This editorial is all the more remarkable for appearing in a traditionally Republican newspaper in a traditionally Republican city and state.