Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Wisdom


From One Mountain, Many Paths
An American Freemason Speaks Out for Peace
by Dr. Patrick Swift
Click book or here to go to the page and buy it for yourself,

Are any among you suffering? They should pray. Are any cheerful? They should sing songs of praise. Are any among you sick? They should call the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord.

James 5:13-18
Christianity

And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

Luke 11: 9-10
Christianity

When I went to the Eastern Star this week-end there was an opening prayer. They do that at the beginning of every session. The prayer that they give at these meetings is not prayer to me. It tends to be a sermonette. This "prayer" went on for about 8 minutes. I waited and waited wondering just how much this person could fit into one prayer. Some of these people are really in love with the sound of their own voice. I wonder if they think they are telling the "All-knowing" anything that he doesn't already know I think these prayers are more to remind us of our dependence on God than for us to tell him anything.

It boggles my mind to think that we must ask God for anything.
He has already given us everything. The first quote today tells me that prayer is effective. That we should pray, that we should pray the prayer of need, the one of gratitude and the one of healing. Prayer heals. I firmly believe that. I have seen it happen. I also know that sometimes Doctors are very necessary.

The second quote tells us that God gives everything to us. We must look for and find that which has been given but it is there and we are to take advantage of it. In my former church there was a reminder of this on the wall. I know I have told you this before but I think it is worth repeating. Mrs. Eddy says, "Divine Love always has met and always will meet every human need." Notice it isn't every human desire. Sometimes we think we want something and we really don't need it. But our needs are known and are met. We need not worry nor beg for it. I still think we just need to get in touch with God.

To me that is what prayer is. Getting in touch with God. Opening ourselves up to His presence and to the power that is constantly coming to us. We do not need long recitations nor requests for worldly goods or power. It is good to express our gratitude for it reminds us of the power of His presence.

Today at the Family Potluck and Pumpkin Carving Brother Bill led us in a prayer. He has done this before when there were children present. It is a simple little song supposedly sung by Johnny Appleseed. To me it is the ultimate prayer. Joyful and healing and a reminder of our heavenly Father and all he has given us.



Thanks for stopping by, Have a blessed week. ARTYAL, Hugs, j

3 comments:

Kurt said...

Nice video. At seminary, we changed the song to "for the things we need, for hops, yeast, and the barley seed..." You can tell where our priorities were. (Just remember, Martin Luther enjoyed beer too).

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

As did the Ancient Egyptians. I think God provided Beer and Wine for us so that we can drink and feel closer to Her.

Ur-spo said...

and God always listens - and answers, which is a bit scary. Although he has a good sense of humor and doesn't answer the way we want him to do
Santa Claus He is not.