Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Elephants vs. Donkeys











I have always loved elephants.


I went to the circus as a child and later as a Shriner and was captivated by them. Donkeys, not so much. But I will still wear the Donkey on my lapel. My grandparents were on the opposite side of the fence politically. Each year they would cancel each others votes. But they still voted. At least that is how I remember it. Aunt Jo can correct me if I am wrong.

I had a lot of respect for Dwight Eisenhower and I have a good friend who is a Republican. In fact I have several friends who are Republicans. Their party used to stand for something honorable. They stood for less government regulation personal and in government. They stood for less control and fewer taxes. Gerald Ford was a good Republican (IMHO) But that all changed. When the puppet Ronald Regan sold the party to the religious crazies and the party decided that it no longer stood for something but that it would gain power by appealing to peoples fear and hatred and when they took a record surplus and allowed George Bush (sold his soul to Karl Rove) and company to ignore the Constitution and the rule of Law- to turn that surplus into a record deficit and allowed the military industrial complex to take over the country I could no longer support Republicans.

I have looked at a chart comparing the five parties and I find that I do not agree with the stance of the current Republican Party. My friend (mentioned above) wrote a letter to the editor about how glad he was that the Iowa Republican Party was putting planks back into the platform that seemed to be returning to Republican principles of the past. Unfortunately the National platform is still held hostage by the religious right.

Many people mention how John McCain has changed. I read an article today about how he has changed. How he "sold his principles" to the religious right. People who would have a theocracy in our great country and who foster hate speech towards those unlike themselves. He nominated a religious "sleeper" as his vice-president and the idea that she could become president and allow them to get even more of a strangle hold on our country terrifies me.


Not only does Mrs. Palin belong to a bizarre cultish religion that believes in rapture, creationaism, witches, and fundyvangelist cromwellian theocracy, but she was intimately associated with a rightwing militia group that masquerades as a legitimate political party known as the Alaska Independence Party (AIP). Founded in the 70's by a nutjob who wanted to nuke glaciers to get at the gold underneath, this heavily armed anarcho-fascist group, which shares the goals, ideology, and mindset of various rightwing, separatist, and racist groups and individuals such as the Oklahoma City bombers, once included on its OFFICIAL rolls a certain "first dude" known as Todd Palin!!! Sarah, although never OFFICIALLY on its rolls, regularly attended its meetings and associated with its top membership. While mayor of Wasilla and later as Governor of Alaska, members of this dangerous and well armed group were regularly welcomed into her office, consulted on policy matters, and allowed to influence her official actions as a public servant.

Understand that the goal of this group, as well as similar such organizations across the country, is to insinuate sympathetic sleeper candidates into the established parties (read REPUBLICAN party, which shares much ideology with them) and work to erode and destroy our democracy and nation from within its highest halls of power.
Source

There is a lot to admire about some individual Republicans, There is less to admire about the party as it is today. I always was an Independent but Ronald Reagan made me a Democrat.

The Democratic Party did more for me as a teacher than any other party. They championed my cause for better pay and working conditions. They always have done this. They look out for the individual and those who were down-trodden. In our world there are families who struggle from paycheck to paycheck to get by. I know of cases where a desperate father needed money for food in order to feed his kids and buy some medicine for his wife. It is not right that a man willing to work cannot find a living wage in our society. It is just wrong.

I am not blaming the Republicans for everything. I don't think Barak Obama will be able to do everything he says he wants to do. I do think he is the more honest of the two. I also think he is more level-headed and more respected by the world. I do not want a hot head in the Oval Office. I do blame many politicians for hypocrisy and lies. Ted Stevens is simply the latest of these corrupt politicians who think that they are above the law and can do what they want.

Air Head "Caribou Barbie" lies when the truth sounds better. These people don't seem to think that we won't care if they are truthful or not. John McCain must take responsibility for the tone of America today. In his negative campaign he has stirred up his constituents and so what if a couple of skinheads are arrested for plotting to kill a presidential candidate. I listened to him speak and he was almost like a certain German cheerleader of the 30's stirring up the crowd. A cheerleader rousing up the hate and fear-filled people who are his followers. It is no wonder things in this country are reaching a new low.
(in the article linked above there is this statement:
"Anyone blaming the McCain-Palin campaign for stoking the prejudices of people in small towns should also be talking about how the McCain-Palin campaign is going to leave these same people drowning in a sea of propaganda-inspired fear on Nov. 5 if Barack Obama wins." )
If the Republican Party were to return to the pre Reagan days I could support some of their policies for I think I am a conservative in some things. However as they are today there is no way that even ONE of them will receive my vote.

I could be a Republican, I suppose, but I just don't trust those in power in the current Republican party. They have proven by their actions that they are not trustworthy and that is why I am glad I voted for Barrak Obama. Even though his feet may be of clay I, at least, believe he will do as he has promised. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs.

No comments: