Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday Thoughts


From One Mountain, Many Paths
An American Freemason Speaks Out for Peace
by Dr. Patrick Swift
Click book or here to go to the page and buy it for yourself,



For he is our peace: in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us.


Ephesians 2:14
Christianity

May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you; may the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.

Numbers 6:24-26
Judaism & Christianity

Paul did a lot to establish the early Christian church. He is supposed to have written Ephesians while in prison in Rome. The main theme of Ephesians is in response to the newly converted Jews who often separated themselves from their Gentile brethren. The unity of the church, especially between Jew and Gentile believers, is the keynote of the book. He was trying to bring peace to the church there. Perhaps they had difficulty reconciling their different beliefs? Paul had once been a persecutor of the Christians and then he became the most active proponent of Christianity. He knew how divisive different belief systems could be and how one group could constantly stir things up for the other. He was saying that Christ was the uniter (sorry George) and bringer of peace.

The second quote is also about peace. It is also called the three-fold blessing. The Israelites were embarking on a journey to the promised land. It is one of my favorite blessings. The words ...and give you peace.

You know I am 67 years old. Shortly after I was born the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. We were in a war. Since that time we have been in one war after another. The Korean War, the Cold War, the Vietnamese War, the Iraqi War. In between there have been smaller skirmishes and problems around the world. It seems as if mankind is a war animal. Constant fighting and wars over territory, ideology, resources, etc. One after another. And yet we all say we want peace.

You hear about the "peace of God that passes all understanding." Some people have that peace, constantly. They radiate that peace. Others are constantly stirring things up, griping and complaining, putting others down, picking fights, generally being nasty. I think the real difference is whether or not we let God into our hearts and lives. Not whether or not we let a Church into our lives. Some of them are just as trouble making and war-like as political nations. No you have to let GOD in. And we do that by prayer.

I used to think that prayer was asking God for something. Money, health, a person to share my life with... But over the years I have changed my thinking. When I had problems in the past I used to let them run (ruin) my life. Things changed that I won't go into.

Eventually I put things in God's hands and decided that things were as they were and there was nothing I could do about it. I needed to let go of some things. Mrs. Eddy says that "God puts the solitary in families." He had certainly done that. People came into my life and filled a void.I love them and their families and just enjoy the hell out of knowing that they are my friends. I am at peace with most things in my life.

Edwin Markham wrote this:
I am the place where God shines through,
For He and I are one, not two,
He wants me where, and as I am,
I need not fret, nor fear, nor plan.
If I will be relaxed and free
He'll carry out His work through me.
When I first heard this the last line was "He'll manifest Himself through me." I like that better.

I also am reminded that when you fall into the water you relax and lay back and you float to the top. Moving gently you can maintain yourself and not drown. It is when you panic (become not peaceful) that you sink and eventually drown. For me prayer has become something other than asking God for things. When I hear ritualized prayer in Lodge or at a table (grace) I do not think that God listens to every word. What I try to do is acknowledge that God IS and that I am a part of His being. That He is the Foundation of all of my being and sends me love and peace all the time. I just have to recognize that peace and then celebrate the joy of it. God Bless, j

No comments: