Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Miles / Funerals



Miles has one ear that is sticking up.  It is kind of cute but  it should flop down like the other one.

Bailey isn't sure whether he likes it or not.

I was supposed to go to Des Moines tonight for York Rite. Or rather I could have gone to Des Moines tonight for York Rite but decided not to go.  I went out to the Temple and got the material I will need for the Funeral tomorrow and because it was raining and my windshield wiper blade needed replacing and because gas has jumped to $2.54 a gallon and because I was down there last night I decided to stay home.  Doubt anyone will notice anyway.

The whole idea of a Funeral Service for one of our Masonic Brothers got me to thinking about funerals. I am not having a funeral.  Perhaps a Masonic Service if anyone wants to bother but it isn't necessary.  I do not want a religious service.  My great aunt Erma did not want one either and she had specified that in her will.  My father's ex-wife's son (a minister) held a "small service" at the committal because he wanted to. I was not happy when I heard about it.

Funerals are not for the dead, they are for the living and I suppose that it made him happy but it was not what she wanted, it just seems to me to be wrong.  I do know that the people who "sell" funerals will argue with me that it brings closure and is a chance for the family to get together for a reunion and all of that but to me a funeral is worship of a person and I don't think that is right.  I remember watching when Princess Diana died and then closely thereafter Mother Theresa passed.  Big funerals were held for both of them and it seemed as if the entire world was in attendance.  It seemed to me that they were both worship of a person and they were turning them into Gods.

I have been to funerals where the officiant did not even know the deceased.  They were forced to fall back on a "set piece" or a service that would work for everyone.  One funeral service I went to had a friend of the deceased give a talk and he did a marvelous job.  He told more about the life of the deceased than the minister who freely admitted that he did not know him.  Another minister used the funeral as a chance to prosletyze and try to get people to recognize Jesus as their personal savior and be saved.  I don't think that it was appropriate nor was it much comfort for the family.

I don't currently attend a church so for me to have a funeral someone who doesn't know me would have to perform the service.  I can't say I have ever been to a funeral that I liked.  The Masonic Service on the other hand is short, sweet and I do like it...That is I like the one I give not every one of them.

I really like the Jewish concept of end of life .  The burial should be quickly done and people should remember the deceased but they should get on with life.  Of course I intend to be cremated and they don't do that....but that is another post.

Oh and by the way I don't plan on any of this happening anytime soon.  I still have things to do.  Thanks for stopping by Always Remember That You Are Loved.  Hugs j

4 comments:

Nessa said...

Good to know you plan on staying around a while.

Thursday Thirteen - Useless Knowledge

Tom said...

Again, it must be that great minds think alike.......I agree with your funeral conclusion!

~DK~ said...

My Aunt has chosen to have a celebration rather than a funeral. In her will she has declared that a party will be catered at a reception hall. There is to be dinner and dancing, no crying. Only one picture of her is allowed up. Her one minister friend is allowed to say one small prayer that is not to be depressing or longer than one minute.

Her point being that she will be happy where she's going and hopes that her friends can look past themselves and be happy for her as well. I think it is a wonderful concept... a celebration of life rather than a funeral

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

I like that idea. But since I am not sure I am going to be happy and I would hate to miss a good party I would much rather have the party before I go. With a good single malt Scotch please....