Sunday, June 20, 2010

Another day...another windmill sunset - Photo by Bob Kelly

Each sunset is like a finger print....different and unique in its own way, and so it is with Iowa farm sunsets which I enjoy shooting. Shooting sunsets reminds me of the remark Forest Gump said about his box of chocolates.... "Ya never know what yur gonna get." As the sun descends it begins to paint earlier gray and blah clouds into colored shades that are beautiful and thought provoking. Many of you know that I have photographed this particular windmill before, but never on an evening with a sunset like this! Each sunset is different and offers unique challenges and rewards. The windmill provides a silhouetted focal point, which gives the photo more meaning and character, and I refer to them as sentinels of time amidst the fertile lands. They have stood there for many decades, now in less use, or perhaps in structural decline, but they ARE there and as such marking the passing of time on the farmland, and continuing to provide a kind of aesthetic beauty for those who take the time to see them. I photograph sunsets and windmills.....because they are there.....and because I can!

No comments: