Saturday, June 12, 2010

Simply Saturday



Today I drove down to Newton, Iowa to do a graveside service for one of their members who had passed on. At the request of a brother or his family this is the last duty which we as Masons can do for a brother. The cemetery in Newton is a beautiful place, However this morning it rained. Heavy. You can see the running water along the side of the paved road. The grave site was behind the evergreen tree on the right and I had to jump the little stream. I have difficulty walking on rough ground but I used a cane and made it OK. I hope the family appreciated the service. Brother Sheeler usually does these for Newton but he had to go to a Grand Lodge function today so he asked me to come down and do it. I went to MW Al Jensen's home and followed him to the cemetery. It is always good to see Al. We worked together in York Rite and he was Grand Master of Masons in 2002 and I am proud to call him a friend.
The service went well. When it was over I decided not to go back by the same route I had taken on the way down.. On the way down I followed the Interstates, The Interstates are fine if you need to get somewhere in a hurry but the traffic is not fun. There is always some jerk (I almost wrote something else that started with Ass) who has to drive 80 MPH and pass you on the right or swerve in front of you. So I decided to come back through our beautiful farm to market roads.
The roads have a slower speed limit but there is less traffic and you can really see the beauty which is Iowa. Farms dot the roadside and fields of cattle..I was going to get a picture of them but I was going so damn fast you couldn't read the signs....let alone take a picture of them But I did enjoy them
My friend and brother Craig and I always take these roads if we have time and enjoy them so much more than the speedy Interstates. I was thinking about him on the way back and how much he would have enjoyed the drive today. The rains (downpour) of the morning had stopped and the traffic was light and the clouds beautiful. Take a look,
I do apologize for some of the pictures. There are bug spots all over the window.
I was thinking about funeral services on the way down. I have it in my will not to have a church service and said that there could be a Masonic service. I decided on the way to Newton that I don't want either. I just want to be cremated and the ashes disposed of at an undisclosed location "That no more remembrance might be had among men or Masons of so vile a wretch as I am...." That will be enough.
And because Craig likes to look at the corn I took this picture. I think it is already "knee-high"
My neighbor is in town this week-end. He was here to mow and do some other work around his place and he came over for a visit. I opened the bottle of Templeton Rye and we shared a drink and conversation. He brought Farnsworth with him I had to put Miles out on the back porch because he still doesn't know how to act with company.
Bailey was fine although he did visit with him. Farnsworth thinks he is a cat and climbed up on the back of the couch. He is a real cutie.
It was really nice to have David stop over. I was beginning to feel like the above shirt. I have been alone a lot lately and actually even when I was in a group I was feeling alone. I sometimes really feel like I have no friends. I don't get to do things with people a lot. I go to movies alone, generally go out to eat alone, drive places alone and spend a lot of time with the dogs - I was feeling that way last night. Our Lodge meeting was poorly attended and I felt left out of the conversation at the meal after and was generally feeling sorry for myself. It was really nice to have David stop over and catch up with him. I just wish he was around more. He is working in the Council Bluffs area and doesn't get back much. What with being ill and everyone being busy I was feeling left out of life. It was nice to go to Michigan but again part of the time I was feeling alone. David made it better. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs. j

No comments: