Friday, June 11, 2010

Jon Says

From Jon's Facebook page

Hmm. So there is a moutain within 20 miles of me. And at the top are the ruins of a castle/Muslim fortress. = O I don't have a car. I don't speak Valenciano and I can't speak Spanish to save my life. Yeah, Like that's going stop me.


That was on facebook. This is his e-mail

Apparently one of my friends host mother was born in the piso (apartment) where they are living. She has spent 60 + years in one apartment. That ranks right up there with one of the more interesting things I've learned over here. Goes to show my limited experience with big cities. All my experience with apartments is small things that people live in until they graduate or can afford a house. I guess in a big city things don't work like that. Still I never thought of an apartment as being such a permanent thing, something that a person could become attached to and even proud of. Until now such sentiments seemed reserved for houses and cabins.

Anyway.

I'm giddy with excitement. This 3 day weekend is the only one I didn't make plans for and now I think it might be the coolest weekend trip I have planned. I'm going to take the Metro out to a small town near Valencia. From there I'm going to bike to a smaller, yet equally old and interesting town. And then hike a trail rated moderate to difficult up to some fricken sweet ass ruins. And its going to cost no more then a Metro ticket and a 2 day bike rental. (2 maybe 3 people are going who actually know how to scream help in spanish in case anyone worries).

Also my roommate figured out how to get my laptop onto the host families wifi so expect me on here a little more.

No comments: