Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jon in Spain



I just booked plain tickets for Rome. I got 2 people to go with me the 2nd - 3 day weekend which is 24 through 27. Going to Barcelona I think 1 through 4. Not sure what I'm doing this 3 day weekend. Maybe going hiking in the mountains if I can find a place to go and a way to get there. Leah is interested, so is Rachel, but I don't believe she could keep up with Leah and me.

Money is doing good. Leah owes me for her plane ticket. It was oddly cheaper to buy them together than separately. There was a labor strike on Tues so all classes were cancelled. Blake, Linda, Genesa, Kat, Leah, Bettina, Kaitlyn, Heather and I went down and spent the night on the beach. Watched the sunrise over the Mediterranean. Sweet.

Got a boat ride around the Albufera (Lake amid a marshland with lots of rice farming nearby) and a guided walking tour of la devasa (coastal dunes) in biology today. Need to start keeping a journal. Got dehydrated and irritable yesterday afternoon. I can't believe I ever used to give a dam about filtered water or AC. Honestly I don't miss a thing about Iowa, in fact when I get tired I start to dread going back. (This from the guy who was never going to leave Iowa...go figure LOL j,)

Host family rocks. They enjoy teaching us Spanish. We manage to communicate a lot through gestures and the few words we do know. Vincete was asking Spencer and me on Saturday what time we got home Friday. I said tres (3). Spencer said cinco (5). Vincete pointed to himself said something about joven (younger) then said ocho (8). Dormir (to sleep) pretended to sleep cupping his hands together and laying his head on them unce (11). We all laughed.

He is from Valencia and I have gathered that his wife is from Madrid. He seems to like to make fun of Madrid. Its hilarious. I watched a classic sci fi film with him the other day. Something with Martin Sheen on a aircraft carrier that accidentally went back in time to just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Oh. Can you help me figure out where Ciampino is in Rome. We may have booked our plane tickets to an airport just outside Rome, I'm hoping there is a bus or something to down town. I'd hate to pay for a taxi.

I looked up the airport for him and this is what I found. He may have to take the 30 Euro taxi

By , About.com Guide

<span class=ciampino airport location map, rome ciapino airport location" style="display: block; max-width: 100%; ">

Ciampino Airport Location Map: Rome Ciampino Airport is south east of Rome, Italy

Ciampino Airport Location Map © 2007 by James Martin, Europe for Visitors, licensed to About.
Ciampino Airport - I've never heard of it!:
Ciampino airport is Rome's second airport. It used to be Rome's only airport before the construction of the Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport in Fiumicino, to the west. Ciampino has risen into the public eye because over 100 airlines now use the busy Ciampino airport, many of them budget airlines. Ryan Air and Easy Jet both fly into Ciampino.
Where is Ciampino Airport?:
Ciampino is located about 15 kilometers or 9 miles southeast of central Rome (See our Ciampino Airport Location Map on the upper right). State road SS7, Via Appia Nuova, takes you to the Rome ring road, or into Rome itself.
How to get to Rome from Ciampino Airport - Bus and Train:
There is no direct train connection from Ciampino Airport to Termini station in Rome.

By Bus - CO.TRA.L. operates a bus which connects the airport to the Anagnina Underground station (line A) and to the train station of Ciampino. From Anagnina, it is a direct 30-minute metro journey to Termini station. From the Ciampino train station, it's a direct 15 minute connection to Rome Termini.

Terravision operates direct busses to Ciampino for certain airlines. Check the link.

The bus stop and the ticket vending machine are located in the international departure area of the airport, open from from 6.10 a.m. to 11.00 p.m.

How to get to Rome from Ciampino Airport - Taxi:
After hours, an expensive taxi ride may be your only alternative. Expect to spend at least 30 Euros. Taxis leave from the departure terminal. The bus/metro option is the cheapest, if the least convenient.
Major Car Rental Companies at Ciampino Airport:
You'll find Avis, Europcar, Hertz, Thrifty Car Rental, Maggiore and Sixt car hire at Ciampino.

In addition, Auto Europe buy back leases and rentals can be picked up at Ciampino Airport. Auto Europe often saves you money on car rentals as they usually find and book your rental through the least expensive rental company available and include insurance in the total price.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

how exciting! I would love to see Rome.