Sunday, June 27, 2010

Jon in Spain - ROME

Rome was awesome. Either you or Rick would have been good company. Although to be honest the hills and all the walking would have killed you. It damn near did me in. My feet hurt worse than after hiking in the mountains.

I'm looking forward to telling you about Roma. I took just over a 1000 photos. Not only did I see the Vatican, the Colosseum, Fountain di Trevi, the Pantheon, a number of churches, a number of plazas and fountains.









I discovered overlooking the Spanish Stairs the house where John Keats died. John KEATS! Its now a Museum dedicated to him and Percy Shelly (both of whom are buried in Rome along with Severn and other artists of the day). Next to the museum is a shop called Byrons. Hilarious. References to 3 of the 6 great romantic era poets all in one block and overlooking this fantastic thing called the Plaza di Espangn. I had forgotten that it was in Rome where Keats spent his dying days. It was for me what going to the Vatican was for the Catholic girls I went to Rome with.

I've started thinking of gifts to bring back with me. I've decided for you I'm either going to give you one of the small bottles of Limonechello I got in Rome or I'll share with you a bottle of Agua de Valencia (Orange Juice, Vodka, Gin and Champaign as far as i've been able to gather). Maybe sangria if i find a bottle. Alcohol either way.

Being in Rome made me think of
your bedroom and your trip to Egypt. I even have a similar story now to one of the ones you told me.


No comments: