Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Burning Man

Photo from Wikipedia
One of my former students (Craig) mentioned one time that he had attended the Burning Man Festival which is held annually at Black Rock, Nevada. He has been more than once.    I was curious.  I read about it and I was enthralled. If I were 40 years younger you couldn't keep me away.  Unfortunately I have begun to "rust out" and no longer could even think about attending it so I have to live vicariously.  The video below catches Burning Man 2012. It looks like a magical mystical experience.  The artistry of the participants and the constructions are just awe inspiring to me.  I know that I will never get there but I hope that those who are able will become inspired to attend. It takes place the last week in August and first part of September.  I can't think of a more magical way to spend Labor Day. Here is the Burning Man Web Site.  Lots of pictures and information there.  And do watch this video.  It is very well done.  Enjoy. (Oh and if you watch it full screen it is better.  I love the expressions on peoples faces.  (Some partial nudity involved)



Here is a link to Mark Marford's column about Burning Man.

2 comments:

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

I got this in an e-mail

Anyway, you also need to check out the Zozobra festival in Sante Fe. Each year they spend 4-5 months building a 50 foot tall animated puppet which represents gloom and evil and badness, have a big party with drinking and debauchery, and then they burn the puppet. A guy that I work with (the same guy that went to Sturgis with us) says that it is a "pretty Pagan festival, but lots of fun.)

Harpers Keeper said...

Thanks for sharing the Burning Man video. I had heard of the festival but had no idea how elaborate it is.