Thursday, September 13, 2012

My trip to the Dentist.

 One of my Facebook friends had this link and picture posted this morning. It was timely as I had a dentist appointment this morning.  The difference being is that the teeth they are "bridging" for me are on the top.

My dentist was interested in this example of 4000 year old dentistry.




I took some pictures of today's proceedings.  I was in the chair about an hour and a half.  Two fillings and they also took impressions to send in to the lab.

I asked Dr. G how he decided to become a dentist. His sister married a dentist and he decided to switch from pre-med to dentistry.  And it allows him to  exercise his artistic ability. He actually "sculpts" the tooth as he works with it so that it looks natural.

I told him that I suspected that because it felt like he was sculpting when he was working on them.
 One of the machines they use I call the "Jesus" machine because they say that it is for "curing".  It shines a special light on the tooth and hardens it.  Dr. G said that it was because they no longer use epoxy material but rather use a phototrophic (?) material.  So after he sculpts it K (dental assistant) cures it with her machine. It shines a bright blue light which they told me not to look at.

She (K) is really good.  She and Dr. G never have to talk. She reads his mind and has the correct tool there ready to place in his hand. They occasionally exchange a word or two but basically except for the scraping and drilling and occasional yelps from me (just kidding) it is a pretty silent event.

I enjoy going to the dentist.  All in all, except for what it is costing me I am very pleased with the whole experience.  They are nice people and I enjoy the time I spend with them..{I did have to have a discussion with them however.  I asked him if Faux (Fox) news paid him money to have them on the TV all the time.  I always have to ask to have it turned off.  I mentioned that I had switched garages for my car because the owner always had Fox News playing.  (Actually I do not know why the TV has to be playing in every waiting room anyway.)  I think that the next time the problem will be resolved... Thanks K. }  Oh, one more thing.  Last time I was there I had my teeth cleaned by a very pregnant lady.  Turns out she was K's sister and she had her baby. A little boy.  Good news.  I am so glad the sun was setting and I met Dr. C.

4 comments:

kenju said...

I like my dentist too, and the one who bought his practice when he retired. I always enjoy going there, even though I have had my share of scary dental work over the years.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, I love the lightcure as well! It fascinates me how a mere beam of light can dry up and harden the filling. It’s important to not look directly at the light though, as it can be harmful to your sight. That’s why the lightcure handpiece comes with a small translucent shield. The dentist can look at what he or she is doing with the light through the shield without risking his or her eyesight.

Nelson Ishida

Unknown said...

It is always good to choose a dentist with specializations and with top-of-the-line equipment. Actually talking and building a good friendly relationship with the dentist and his staff surely makes the visits enjoyable, since you would be among friends when you have appointments.

Darcy Losh

Unknown said...

It is always good to know how often the dentist attends conferences and if he continues his education. This could tell you that the dentist is passionate about what he is doing and that he is keeping abreast with the latest developments in his field. And Mr. Darcy is right! Making friends with the clinic staff is always a good idea as it helps build trust.

Ted Grimmer