Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Home Town

I enjoy living in Ames, Iowa.  It is in the center of the State (almost) and so you can get to most of the state easily.  We are on Interstate 35 just 30 miles north of Des Moines (the state capital) and there are cultural events there but we also have them in Ames.  Iowa State University, a land grant university (in fact the very first land grant university) also has cultural events.  I have seen Theater, Dance, Concerts, and one magical night I was able to listen to and meet Beverly Sills.

When I was younger the University was really my playground.  My mother worked in the Home Economics Building and my friend and I used to go out there to meet her and we went all over the place.  I especially remember the room in the basement where all the white rats were kept and the other was a large room with this statue.  I always liked it.

The Memorial Union (partially built by my family members) was also a wonderful place to go to hang out.  It had everything. A bookstore, a bowling alley, a commons area where you could get food and lots and lots of big beautiful rooms. Probably the closest thing to a palace that we have in Ames.   Here is a little video (self-promotion) that tells about Iowa State.



We also have a great medical facility here in town where I visited today to see my diabetes doctor.  My A1c was 6.8 and my blood pressure was good so he was very pleased with me. I would be also if I had just lost some weight. I did take in my belt another notch but I am still too big.

So everything is copacetic except for not being able to drive for 6 months.  This summer I did a very stupid thing and drove my car while I was under the influence of a couple extra Scotch.  Spent the night in jail and starting yesterday for 6 months I may not drive.  Perhaps I shall tell more about the experience sometime but then again I may not as it is not something I am proud of.  In the meantime I am reliant on others to get me places such as the grocery store and doctors appointments. I will be spending a lot of time at home, however.  Perhaps I shall get my office cleaned.  Thanks for listening.  Hugs, j

No comments: