Thursday, October 2, 2008

George Underwood - An American Hero

Tonight my Cousin George Underwood of Federal Way, Washington was inducted into the Ames High School Athletic Department's Hall of Fame.

George could not attend so I was proud to go and receive his honor for him. He was a member of the Class of 1938.

The program Booklet had this "bio" in it:

The city of Ames had much to be excited about during the fall of 1937. The Ames High Little Cyclones had an undefeated football team, and the entire community embraced its success. One of the finest running back in AHS history. George Underwood scored at least one touchdown in all eight games including four against both Souix City and Boone.
Under the coaching and direction of Ray Donels and Kenney Wells, the 1937 football team won every game on its schedule that fall and was heralded by many sports writers and Iowa fans. Underwood tackled, passed and ran with the ball that fall. His performance during that stellar season earned him numerous honors, including a member of the Central Iowa Conference first team. He was also named to the Iowa Daily Press Association's all-state first team. As a halfback he was also named the Des Moines Resister and Tribune's all-state first team. Underwood credits the holes for his running performance to his teammate Milton Wilcox.


After his career at Ames High School Underwood attended Iowa State University for one year, and then he joined the military. He gave up opportunities to play football for several colleges to serve his country. As WWII broke out, Underwood led a company of men through New Guinea and into the Philippine Islands against the Japanese. His military career continued primarily with the Army Counter-Intelligence Corps and the Air Force Office of special Investigation (OSI) He received numerous awards and honors for his military service, including 14 medals and 2 Bronze Stars.

Underwood was married many years to his wife Wanda Jean. They were blessed with two daughters: Linda Schmidt, a retired fiscal officer with the Veterans' Administration Hospital; and Diane Myers, also a retires secretary with the US Air Force, Diane's husband Bill, is retired from military and civil service. Underwood also has two grandsons, and cousins with connections to Ames.

George is one of my heroes. I remember in High School when he came back to Ames. He came down to my room and talked to me for a couple of hours about what he had done in the service. He probably wasn't supposed to tell me some of the things he told me but he made a real impression on me at that time. I have held him in the highest regard ever since.

George's parents died when he was young and he and my mother's sisters (all six "Cole" girls) were very close. He looks at them as if they were as close as his real sister who also died at a young age and was my mother's best friend.

I visited him when I went to a Conference in Seattle and re-connected with him and I am so glad I did. I got to meet both daughters and one grandson. A tall "drink of water" who played basketball. George called him and his other basketball friends the "Giraffe Patrol."



It was also a thrill to meet Ted Kooser, 1957 graduate of Ames High School and recipient of the Ames High Alumni Association's distinguished Alumni Award. Ted was the United States Poet Laureate from 2004-2006. I knew his parents and he seemed to know who I was. Perhaps he reads this Blog (Yeah Right).

He has a new book of poetry and he read one of his poems to us. I think I shall go delete my Poetry blog. I am a hack compared to him




The other recipients are:
Kent Anderson Class of 1972
Milton Wilcox, Class of 1938
Paige Hoefle, Class of 1990
Kurt Friedrich, Class of 1988
Coach Kirk Daddow

I have an On-Line Photo Album of the evening's which you can view by clicking HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. Hugs to everyone. j

No comments: