Thursday, February 14, 2008

Having Fun in Masonry


Back in October I wrote about how Masonry should be FUN. I got my issue of the Northern Light (Northern Masonic Scottish Rite Magazine) today and the Grand Commander (John Wm. McNaughton, 33 was talking about their goals as an organization. He said that they had been meeting and reviewing their strategic plan. Ie said that they now have a new objective that has been placed in the number one position in the plan.

The number one objective now reads, “To have fun and to care about each other.” He says that the statement is not limited to Scottish Rite. It applies to all aspects of Freemasonry.

WOW!

Someone in authority and I agree.

He goes on to say,
“ When we enjoy our participation in the fraternity, not only are we having “fun” but we are taking our involvement in Freemasonry more seriously. At first that statement may sound incongruous, but when you think about it, it makes sense. We take things seriously when we enjoy what we are doing.
And while we are having fun, let us not forget the second half of that objective, which is part of our obligation as a Mason.
Share the good times with your fraternal brothers and look out for their welfare so that they can appreciate Freemasonry as much as you do."


When I used to go to faculty meetings I did not have much fun. It used to be that the Masonic stated meetings were not much fun. In fact I even had the temerity to state that they were boring. Now that I am Secretary I must pay attention and they no longer put me to sleep. However, as I looked around the room at last night’s Consistory meeting I saw the occasional expression that said to me that perhaps the Brother was not having “fun.” I am sorry for that. The business of planning to welcome new members and activities should be “fun” If not fun, exactly they should be something we enjoy.

I derive a great deal of enjoyment out of being with my Brethren. I know that (most of them) are also enjoying being with each other (including me) - It is “fun,” not rolling on the floor, laughing out loud fun but fun nevertheless. When it was all over I felt glad that I had gone and participated in the meeting.

I have a book at home that I used to copy out my poems and other things that I liked. I hared some of them from author Taylor Caldwell the other day. While I was looking through the book I came across something I wrote 30 years ago, I still feel that way.

March 1, 1978

Success is making a suggestion or a contribution and having others recognize its merits or knowing that what you have done has made a difference.


What does that have to do with “fun?” Simply this, success is having fun. I am going to take Sovereign Grand Commander McNaughton’s advice and make; “To have fun and to care about each other.” my number one goal. So all of you please have fun and remember to care for each other. ARTYAL. Hugs, J-bear.

No comments: