Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscars

OK, I am going to try something new. I am going to watch the Oscars with my laptop open and make (maybe nasty) comments on what I am watching. Perhaps it will keep me awake.

My God, Mickey Rooney is still alive.

Helen Mirren is incredible. I am in love with her. She is wearing a "rather dramatic" dress because she is "playing a madam in a whorehouse." Sounds like fun. The Queen plays a madam.

Amy Adams - Enchanted and Charlie Wilson's War. I saw both of them.

I didn't watch Barbar Walters' special but I did catch the interview with Harrison Ford. Lucky guy to shack up with Calista Flockhart. He has 6 airplanes and once in awhile he flies into Ames to eat at Hickory Park. He doesn't know that Battle's Barbecue is really better.

Regis is backstage making the dancers nervous.

They have begun. 80th year. Jon Stewart. "Writer's strike is over - Welcome to the make-up sex." He just slammed Vanity Fair. justifiable. Just him out there talking making them all laugh. He is the connsumate comedian.

Jack Nicholson just has fun. A lawyer joke.

Diablo Cody - Iowa Connection on State 29.

Costume Design - Elizabeth the Golden Age. Alexandra Byrne

I love the flashback.s Barbara (See I do know how to spell it - I was just being a smart ass with Ms Walters) Striesand when she tied to get her Oscar. She was the most talented person that Hollywood ignored and she should have gotten many more Oscars for her work. She is incredible. (Plus she is a Democrat)

George Clooney (so good) just introduced the retrospect. I love those with the clips of every thing they can squeeze in and I marvel at how much I can remember.

Best Animated Feature - Ratatoule
Make up - La Vie En Rose. I went to Des Moines to see that one. It was a great film

Amy Adams is just now singing the first nominated song from Enchanted. Happy Working Song. It was a cute song but she didn't really do all that great a job singing it.

Jon wants to be dating someone like Michael Douglas' wife when he is Michael's age. He was just here to change the Kitty litter. I suppose I will have to do that when he goes to College. Next week-end he goes to the University of Iowa for interviews.

Achievement in Art Direction - The Golden Compass. I really enjoyed this film when it came out. I had enjoyed the books when I read them and the movie was great.

Sweeney Todd - Art Direction - I messed up somehow on this and they both just both won an Oscar. I loved Sweeney Todd and since both movies were visually satisfying I am glad for both of them.

Actor in a Supporting Role -Javier Bardem
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN - He is one happy guy - grinning from ear to ear. I may have to go see that movie or put it on my Netflix list when it comes out. First Oscar "moment" according to Jon Stewart and I have to agree.

2nd nominated song - From August Rush - Raise it Up
I was going to see this movie and then heard a couple of negative reviews so skipped it. I am not impressed with thi song although there are some great people performing it.

Owen Wilson is presenting the Live Actions short film. He looks good.
LE MOZART DES PICKPOCKETS (THE MOZART OF PICKPOCKETS)
Philippe Pollet-Villard - Frech is such a beautiful language.

Short Film - Animated - PETER & THE WOLF
Suzie Templeton and Hugh Welchman - This story is timeless and I am glad to see it is still providing fodder for film

Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Tilda Swinton
MICHAEL CLAYTON She was really good in this part. She really played the part well. I really disliked her character and that means something as she is not that way.

I was kind of hoping Ruby Dee would have gotten the award as I saw the clip from American Gangster. That is another movie going on my queue for Netflix

Adapted Screenplay
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Written for the Screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Third song - "That's How You Know" Also from Enchanted Performed by Kristin Chenoweth
who is just incredible. Big production number and I love them. Always the highlight for me. She is just a doll.

So Jay, Where are your nasty comments? You know I don't really know I always watch these darn things and usually I have something to crab about but these are moving right along and I am enjoying them . Go figure!

Oh here we go. Oprah Big Give is being advertised. I really don't like Oprah. Don't know why. Just not my favorite person.

Jon Stewart's jokes about pregnant actresses was just a flop. Not funny, Jon.

Best Sound Editing -
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
Karen Baker Landers and Per Hallberg - I went to this movie and enjoyed it a lot. I remember talking to Jon about it and telling him that the next Bourne move would probably be entitled. Bourne Again

Best Sound Mixing -
Scott Millan, David Parker and Kirk Francis

Best Actress
I am hoping that Marion Cotillard gets it. She was marvelous in La Vie En Rose
AND SHE WON! - I have tears in my eyes. I have loved Edith Piaf forever and this was an incredible movie and Marion was superb (marked to the highest degree by grandeur, excellence, brilliance, or competence) - Her acceptance was the second Oscar "moment" of the evening.

Fourth Song - ONCE
"Falling Slowly"
For some reason I was not as taken with this film as others were. The music just did not do much for me. Pleasant song when preformed tonight. Perhaps it was the mood I was in when i went to see the film. Might have been when I was trying to get myself together, Hell I am still trying to get myself together. Maybe someday.
They just ran through the 80 pictures which had won Bes Picture. I was amazed to see how many of them I have seen and how many I had not seen.

Film Editing -
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
Christopher Rouse
Third one for this movie. It really was good.

Nichole Kidman is so beautiful She just presented an Honorary Oscar to Robert Boyle - 98 years old and he looks better than me - Well anyway he has more hair.

Well this is probably the dumbest thing I have eve done on my blog. I probably should not have done it but if you aren't enjoying it you don't have to read it and it is keeping me awake. I love the Cadillac commercial "The real question is - when you turn your car on does it return the favor."


Foreign Lnguage Film
THE COUNTERFEITERS
Austria Penelope Cruz presented the award,
Directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky


Fourth song ENCHANTED
"So Close"
Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
Beautiful production number but not performed well.


John Travolta presented the song award. (I really don't like him) It went to
ONCE
"Falling Slowly"
Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

I wonder how many of these guys are Masons. I knoe that Ernie Borgnine is a Mason. 33rd Degree and member of the Red Cross of Constantine. I also remember Orson Wells paying tribute to John Huston (or maybe it was the other way around) who said "We have both heard the chimes at Midnight." So I knew that they were both Masons.

Jon Stewart brought out Marketa Irglova to say her thank you as she wasn't allowed to do it. I don't think that has ever been done before. Really neat. She is sweet. I think it was the best song.

Cinematography -THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Robert Elswit -

Memorial Tribute - This is always a hard thing to watch. But we do need to be reminded of those who have gone. Suzanne Plechette and Debora Kerr were among those who passed this past year and of course, Heath Ledger. I really did like him. I have seen him in several movies and it is tragic that he died so young. I think it was very brave of him to take on the role he played in Brokeback Mountain (which should have won Best Picture)

Music Score -
ATONEMENT
Dario Marianelli

Tom Hanks introduced soldiers in Baghdad - who announced the Best Documentary Short Film. FREEHELD
Cynthia Wade and Vanessa Roth

Documentary Feature - TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE
Alex Gibney and Eva Orner

They are advertising A Raisin in the Sun which is on tomorrow night. I was working backstage when Martin Luther King was assisinated and I don't remember much about the play. I think I will watch it tomorrow just to see if I do remember any of it.

Original Screenplay - JUNO
Written by Diablo Cody
As I said she has an Iowa connection. I am really glad to see her win. Plus she has a really nice tatoo.





Best Actor Helen Mirren presented the award and she did the best job introducing the award. She is so tremendous. Just the way she read off the list of attributes brought chills to me. I really hope Johnny Depp wins the award. Sweeney Todd was an incredible movie.
Daniel Day-Lewis
THERE WILL BE BLOOD I remember the first time I saw him was in The Last of the Mohicans I didn't see There Will Be Blood. It may go on my Netflix list. Speaking of Netflix. I ordered it because I wanted to watch the British SciFi show Torchwood. I have them on my list and they are not sending them to me. So I am not putting any more on the list until I get them.

Best Director is next NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Again I have not seen this movie.

Best Picture NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
They won three Oscars for this film tonight.

It is now 10:45. I started this at 7:30. Jon Stewart was a good host. On his show he does a lot of yelling but tonight he was very good. Now I must go and do my Black History Post for tomorrow. ARTYAL Hugs, j

3 comments:

Dianne said...

I feel like we were watching the show together! I laughed so hard at "Mickey Rooney is still alive!?"

my favorite moments were Javier Bardem thanking his Mom in Spanish.

every moment of Marion Cotillard's acceptance was as magical as she is. didn't Craig say she'd win?

I enjoyed the entire show and Jon did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Any freeform stream of consciousness blog entry deserves a similar comment:

"Madam in a whorehouse." I couldn't believe she said that. I din't mind, I just couldn't believe it. I would have expected "bordello" of "house of ill-repute."

regis was funny, but he seemed to be pressing for humor.

I didn't think the host was funny at all. Johnny Carson would have been funnier even all these years dead.

Jack was Jack. Love him or hate him. I generally love him.

Diablo? Nice tattoo. She should get together with Hellen Mirren.

Everything you said about Barbara NOT!!!!! God no! Please.

Who wouldn't want to date Michael Douglas' wife. At his age, at my age, any age. Doesn't even matter if she smokes.

Songs? I didn't like any of them. Isn't there a way they could all lose. Actually, I disliked the one that won less, so at least the voters got it right. And it was the only one that had a good presentation in this show. The others were awful.

Bourne whatever? Forget them all. Read the books. Much better.

Nichole and a cadillac commercial right in a row. Good deal.

marketa Irglova--make up thank-you. I think they cut it too early. The first guy didn't say much. They were going to commercial. Of course, she talked too long to make up for it. But in general, the show went pretty fast.

OK, Guess Jay noticed the tattoo as well. She needs a clip or something to hold the front of her dress together. Not that I mind.

OK, we'll just have to disagree about the host. I was bored with him. Let's see, Johnny Carson, Whoopi, Billy Crystal, Chevy Chase, all orders of magnitude better.

But at least the show was much shorter than some times. I still would have rather watched the other two hours of NHRA Drag Racing on ESPN, but being a good husband I watched this with my wife and 400 billion other people.

Anonymous said...

"My God, Mickey Rooney is still alive."

lol!

i was "all like 411 and 911" for my niece this week. i can't believe i fell so far behind this week. it will take me forever to catch up on my blogs!