Monday, February 11, 2008

Last Post of the year.

On February 12, 2007 this Blog was born
That makes tomorrow the Blogaversary of my starting this thing.

At that time I wrote:

Ok, I am taking the plunge. I have been reading blogs for quite awhile and have no idea why people do these but I thought that I would start one and see what happens.

I originally planned to go to a Masonic meeting in Des Moines tonight but the threat of ice and snow scared me off. I am a chicken when it comes to driving in this weather.

Don't expect anything too profound with this.

So there we are. At that time I called it "The Most Boring Blog on the Internet" - I don't think that applies anymore. Over the year I have put a lot of posts up here. 789 to be exact. On occasion the blog has been a place to Rant and Vent about things. Other times introspection has been the word of the day. I have misused the blog at times and I am afraid that it cost me a good friend but that is life. I thought he had lied to me and then I found out that I was wrong and it seems to late to really repair the damage so I have backed off and leave it up to him. I was wrong and I am sorry but don't think that anything can be done about it so I will live with the hurt in my heart.

I have put my philosophy up on this board (and as was pointed out to me tonight I don't always live up to my own expectations but if I put it up here I believe it...at least at the moment. I have put my hurt up here and my feelings and perhaps shared too much of myself but it has been a study of self exploration. I really have no one I can share my inner feelings with and this has been my place to do that. Perhaps too much sometimes but it has helped. I went through my life without thinking much about what I believed or why I believed it and this is my place for that introspection. As I have said before if you don't want to know me don't read the darn thing.

I am a teacher and the teacher in me comes out from time to time. I have opinions about education and what I think should be done to improve education in this country so I have shared some of that. I am not saying that my ideas are necessarily right or the only ones but I have them and as I have said in the past, "If you have an idea and don't share it you might as well not have it at all." Better here than the newspaper where they can edit it or worse yet not print it at all.

I am also a Mason. Masonry in a very real sense in the center of my being. This "society of obligated men" (Thanks Tim for that) is my heart and my other family. I am closer to them than any other group. In the past I have been involved with Education groups and the Education Association and have been active in them but right now Masonry is my main activity. I am an officer in my Lodge and try to be active in my other Lodge and in the York and Scottish Rite. I have three other blogs that I do. One for the Scottish Rite, one for the Christian Science Church (where I used to be a member) and one for my poetry.

Actually that is one of the reasons I started the Blog. I was not writing poetry and wanted a creative outlet. That and I wanted a way to keep my sister up on what I was doing and I could do it here. I don't think I do write very well but my Aunt Jo, who is reading the hard copy (I have three notebooks full) tells me I am a good writer. (she says I should write a book) - She got the blogs because she accused me of saying bad things about the family so I gave them to her to read. I opened up more to her than I ever have and we are a lot closer that we used to be. So the Blog served a good purpose.

I took a couple of the articles that I had written for the blog and sent them into the Philalethes Society. We will see if they make it into the magazine. Nelson King the editor looked over my blog and told me it was a "great blog" Coming from him I was really pleased, So I used the posts on Leadership (which was well received by all but one person) and the one on enlarging your tent and sent them in to him. It will be interesting to see if they get printed. I also submitted my blog to Pietrie-Stones and have been "certified" (I always knew I was certifiable) as an Educational Masonic Site. I am honored that was given to me.

This year has not been an easy year for me. The Blog has helped me to deal with a lot of things. and I am amazed that there have been over 19,000 hits. People from all over the world read the damn thing. I get a list of places by clicking on the map at the bottom of the page and it is a thrill to read the places you are. There are a couple of you who have become blogfriends (especially Cathy and Dianne) and while we have never met your comments and support really keep me going. I even got an e-mail from a Brother in Scotland.

The blog has been a place to publish pictures, Mine and my good friend Bob's (his are better than mine) - Pictures of events that I go to and of friends and family. I go out and steal pictures to illustrate the blog and I have fun finding things.

I use it for education and Masonic articles. I got asked if I was a member of the NAACP because of my Black History posts. I actually used to belong and would again if asked. (Warning - Next month is Women's History Month)

I almost quit the Blog once when I was feeling down. But my friend Maryjane told me I didn't have the right to quit so I didn't. I won't quit now either.

One thing which I have done is gone back and edited some things out of the blog. They don't need to remain in cyberspace and the things I edited out became painful so they are gone. I may be childish in doing so but as I said it is my blog, my therapy and I can do what I want. Over the year I have done some things I regret. I don't regret trying to be a friend or giving things to some people, I do regret that the friendship was (is) not returned but I will not force myself on anyone. If they want to be around me that will be their choice. I have decided to be happy and if this blog helps to make anyone else happy it is a good thing.

It is my place to say things(Besides it beats talking to myself) - I want to say that I love you all. I could write more but I have gone on long enough and have probably said too much - It is time to watch Craig Ferguson and to pet Bailey and enjoy being alive. Always Remember That You Are Loved (yes, each of you), Hugs, j-bear

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy first "blogaversary" jay and thank you!

cathy

Dianne said...

"Don't expect anything too profound with this."

Well now you were wrong about that ;)

Happy Blog Birthday Jay and thanks for all the great posts, the friendship and for being my first! (we'll let folks wonder what that means hehehe)

Here's to many more

Anonymous said...

"Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other alternatives." Abba Eban

Happy First Anniversary, Brother Jay, from your Companions at Dubuque Chapter Three, RAM.
Thank you for sharing your days with us. When you take some lumps, remember that Yogi Berra said," I really didn't say everything I said." God bless!
gpa don