Friday, February 1, 2008

February


I have always liked February. For one thing it is a short month. That means it is over with quickly. It also has some great holidays. Valentine's Day and President's Day. Because it is Black History Month is was alway a good month to assign extra work for research. I think it is important for students to know how to go out and find material and then put it together into some kind of cohesive statement.

Of course, that is not what I do here on this blog. Much of what I put up is shamlessley gathered from here and there and no (or little) credit is given. Just another case of do what I say and not what I do. But to be fair I gave credit and had bibliography information on the things I wrote back then. I just don't do it now. If you are interested you can always Google. That is what I do.

Now to stolen information about February. It is the second month of our year and it has either 28 or 29 days. (Reminds me of the old joke I used to play on my kids. Question: How many months have 28 days? Answer: All of them.) (Yeah, I know it is corny)

February was named after the Latin term februum, which means purification. (By the way notice it is Feb RU ary not FebUary - I had to drum that into kids heads all the time.)

February is:
  • American Heart Month
  • Black History Month (United States and Canada)
  • Library Lovers Month
  • National Lactose Intolerance Awareness Month (Canada)
  • National School Counseling Week (first week, United States)
  • National Children's Dental Health Month
  • Pet Dental Health Month

That is why both Bailey and Max are getting their teeth cleaned this month.
Another milestone that will be celebrated this month will be the anniversary of my first post to the blogosphere. February 12, 2007 was the day I made my first post. February 22 was my mother's birthday. She was born in 1912.

February 1 is also the start of the Civil Rights Movement. If you look at the picture below you will see that it is a black man who was the waiter who had to refuse service to these folks. I admire them for their courage and honor them for what they did.

Feb. 1
(Greensboro, N.C.) Four black students from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College begin a sit-in at a segregated Woolworth's lunch counter. Although they are refused service, they are allowed to stay at the counter. The event triggers many similar nonviolent protests throughout the South. Six months later the original four protesters are served lunch at the same Woolworth's counter. Student sit-ins would be effective throughout the Deep South in integrating parks, swimming pools, theaters, libraries, and other public facilities.



February 1 also marks the day that Charlie (Bob's grandson) went for his first flight (or it may have happened yesterday) - Have you ever seen a more delightful expression on a baby's face? You can see the joy in his face.

Hope your day is a good one. Mine has been so far. I am looking forward to going to the Royal Arch Chapter School tomorrow. Oh yes, one more thing. I read in one of my blogs about the good work the Shrine does to help children and have decided that it is time I rejoined the Shrine. I dropped out because I didn't have time nor the inclination to participate but I still have my Fez (somewhere) and so plans are to rejoin this great group of Masons. Remember, you are loved. Hugs - big ones, j




No comments: