Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday Tattlings

I am working on John Grisham's new novel The Appeal. I find it very appealing.

Today was a "catch up" on sleep day. I actually went in the bed room and slept for two hours. Too many late nights and trips to Des Moines. The "boys" (read that Bailey) begin fussing at me to get up and let them out at 6:30. I managed to hold them off until 7:10 when I knew the coffee would be done. I had been up until 12:30 working on the Blogs and I really did not feel like getting out of bed.

Today was the day the carpet cleaners were scheduled to come so I had to move furniture. A year ago I was not up to doing that but today it didn't give me much problem The antique marble top tables went to the hall way.

The rest of the furniture went into Max's room (where he was locked when they were here
to clean) and the kitchen. You can see the mess in the kitchen. I am still sitting in the kitchen as this time I will not move the furniture back into the living room until tomorrow at noon.

You can see in the pictures below that I have very impractical carpet for animals. I mean it is nice and all that but it shows EVERYTHING.
I am changing the feng shui in the room and putting the antique desk in the corner.
Everything else will be the same so It won't mean much (if it ever did) but at least it is different. I will probably move it back before the month is up.






In the News -
Well old Fidel is hanging it up. It has been a long time. Most folks think he should have gone a long time ago. A lot of people saw him as a threat. I wonder if they remember the dictator who was there before him? Bush said something about transitioning to democracy. Why does that statement bring to mind a flock of corporatevultures just waiting to "pounce" on Cuba in the name of democracy (and corporate profit). I certainly hope it is not the democracy that he espouses in Iraq and practices in America. (I believe he is the one who calls our Constitution a "goddamed piece of paper." He also habitually issues signing statements declaring that he is going to ignore the laws that were passed by our "democratically" elected Congress.) Oh well, I am being cynical again. Probably the glass of Smoking Loon Merlot I had with my soup for supper.

In another bit of news Charles Grassley is out "listening" to people. the Ames Tribune had a couple of Ames High students cover his trip to speak with the government students at Ames High School. Sam Bird and Bobby Hunter are both members of the Ames High Web Staff. It was refreshing to see that happen. These two kids cut right through all the Bull Shit that Grassley puts out (or I should say Brother Grassley as he is a Mason) and got right down to see right through our illustrious senator. Both of them commented on his inability to satisfactorily explain his stance on gay marriages (he is against them - surprise, surprise) and hate crimes. I think Bobby Hunter hit the nail on the head. His piece of the story began and ended with Chuck Grassley is a politician. He is that.

Right now I am not really satisfied with either of our Senators or our Governor. I just don't feel they have moved along with the times or the people of our state. I know we voted for Bush in the last election but we can be fooled too (and scared) but you know, Iowans are by in large very nice people and pretty progressive. I just think it is time for different leadership. Or maybe good old fashioned leadership. Bring back Harold Hughes. Now there was a real Governor. Not like the fake plastic one we have now. (oops.)

John gave me a couple of ideas for my Black History series for which I am grateful. If any of you think I have left someone out I will be glad to have you suggest someone. Next month is Women's History month (or is it Herstory) so I will be working on them then. Also remember way back when I asked readers to write a little about themselves to post so that we could get to know one another. So far Kurt Hoffman is the only brave soul willing to put himself forward. I would be proud to have some more of you step forward with a short introduction.

Tomorrow I have York Rite in Des Moines and I will get to move the furniture back into the living room. Hang in there. ARTYAL. Hugs, jcs

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Stanley Steamer moved all the furniture for me. and they were cheap.

the desk is beautiful and I love the look Max has - as if to say "what the heck is happening here!?"