Sunday, October 5, 2008

Appaloosa/Extraordinary Mothers

Ed Harris is one of my favorite actors. Ever since I saw him in Knightriders a 1981 movie about A traveling group of medieval performers, the main attraction being knights on motorcycles, is falling apart at the seams as the performers either crack under the pressure of mean cops, bouts with near fame and emotional problems.

Now he has made a western which he co-wrote and directed. It is called Appaloosa and also stars Viggo Mortensen (another favorite), Jeremy Irons and Renée Zellweger. It was a little long and I caught myself looking at my cell phone to see what time it was. (don't worry cell phone police, I turned my volume down and held the screen close to my chest so as not to bother anyone else in the theatre). I love it that people have to be told three times to do those things.

Salon entertainment has a review with this conclusion:
At its best, "Appaloosa" has an endearing, oddball quality, but it could use more of those off-center laughs. It's high time for the western to be resuscitated as a genre; a picture that just pokes along amiably isn't enough to get the job done.
It was enough to get the job done for me today. I needed the spectaular scenery of the the West and the play of the characters on each other. I needed that type of movie today. And I loved all of the actors in the movie, especially those listed above.

I was glad to see that there are several movies coming out in the next couple of months that look interesting. After a dearth of good films lately I am pleased that the "lull" is over.

After the movie I went out to Lake Lavernne and visited Lancelot and Elaine (Swans) and read until suppertime. Then I went to Jeff's Pizza and got a Bacon Cheeseburger Pizzal and brought it home for supper. It was great. Ginny sent me the video below. It is a beautiful story about animal mothers, Enjoy. Thanks for stopping by, Hugs, j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just as an FYI, I believe the movie is based on a book by Robert B. Parker.