Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day



The fifth day of Chanukkah
















Sunrise Christmas Morning 2008.

7:00 AM - On my way to Des Moines to work at the Jerry Marsengill Christmas Day Dinner









Bryce's Parents, Billy Joe and Darlene.

I didn't get many pictures taken today because I was upstairs in the 33rd degree room answering the telephone. People could call in to order meals delivered or ask to be picked up and brought down to the dinner. There are a lot of volunteers and everyone participating has a great time.

Four Dodge mini vans are used to transport the meals or pick up folks to come to the Scottish Rite Temple for the dinner.




Bud Erickson was there when I got there at 7:45. They had been there yesterday cooking and setting up. Bud is also responsible for sending out the letters and collecting the funds for the dinner.









Bryce is the other mainstay of the dinner. He brought up my dinner (Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, ham veggies, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie along with coffee and a roll) to me and we had a good visit. I had a couple others drop in for a visit Brothers Dave and Wade also came up and it broke up some of the time.

It was interesting to take the phone calls. I got requests for dinners and for rides to the Temple. Everyone was grateful. I even had a couple of ladies call back to thank me for the dinners and tell me how good they were. That was fun. I also got "God Blessed in the name of Jesus" a couple of times and that was nice. I started getting calls from about 9:00 and they lasted until 1:00. About that time I got to thinking that I had better check the voice mail. I had to go into the office to do that. (I think next year I will just work from the office) - I have already committed to work next year.
Bailey and Max were glad to see me when I got home. They shut down the operation about 2:00 and I got out of there about 2:45. I had to put the radios in the office. They use 8 hand held radios to communicate with the drivers. All in all it was a fun day but a little tiring. I am glad to be back and catching up on my e-mails and things. Ginny sent me the following poem and I want to share it with you. Merry Christmas to all of you. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j


Christmas Spirit

By Howard Thurman


When the song of the angel is stilled,

When the star in the sky is gone,

When the kings and princes are home,

When the shepherds are back with their flock,

The work of Christmas begins:

To find the lost,

To heal the broken,

To feed the hungry,

To release the prisoner,

To rebuild the nations,

To bring peace among brothers,

To make music in the heart…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay, I applaud you and ALL the volunteers at this worthwhile project. A better legacy to Jerry cannot be found. I know that Jerry is smiling and very proud of the work that all of you do!

All the Masons in Iowa are proud of everyone that keeps this project going!

Tom Dean

Raven said...

What a good way to spend Christmas and what a wonderful tradition to uphold.

Hope you are rested up now and that your Christmas at home was also wonderful.