Monday, December 29, 2008

A Wonderful Evening.

I went to Des Moines this afternoon. I picked up some new socks and a book I was looking for (and one I wasn't) then I picked up Kurt to go to Acanthus for Installation of Officers. Our friend and Brother Steve Hall was installed as Master of the Lodge. Steve is a great guy and we both wanted to show our support for him by being there. Steve has Abiff Apparel which has cutting edge Masonic clothing. I ordered a sweatshirt to send to a Brother in Afghanistan.

Before we went to the Installation we went to Sam and Gabe's for dinner. It is one of the nicest places in Des Moines to eat and I go there for special occasions. I really like eating there but don't like to go there alone so I was really glad that Kurt agreed to go there with me. Really it is the type of place you should linger over dinner for an hour or more and savour the homemade goodness of everything they serve. There is nothing from Frozen Food city there.

I had my camera with me but left it in the car and as there was ice in the parking lot I decided that I would skip the photos and just let you imagine. Acanthus has a web site with pictures from last year on it so you could go there and see the pictures and most of the officers remain the same. ( Steve is the guy on the left of the picture) There are a couple of new guys but I imagine that they will have pictures of tonight up there soon so you could see them. It was actually kind of nice not to take pictures. There were two other guys documenting everything so they didn't really need my efforts. I used to be a member of Acanthus so it was good to see folks there again and catch up with some of them. They had a very nice crowd.
Am I boring you yet?


Kurt got a concussion on Christmas day. Butting heads with his son. They were having a Nerf fight and Kurt bent over to pick up a Nerf dart and the Prince came around the corner and BOOM! The son was wearing his police helmet and Kurt wasn't so the kid won. It was nice to catch up with him.

I was pleasantly surprised when I go home that Jon was here. I was glad because Max is always glad to have him come over. He had a good Christmas (made out like a bandit) - He tells me that Cousin Matt is on his way to Israel. Not a place I would want to go right now.


Today was a good day. After a week of being forced to stay home because of crummy weather it was nice to get out last night for the movie and a Pizza at Jeff's (Thanks Trevor for turning me on to it) and then again today. I needed it. Tomorrow night I shall shut off the lights. Light my candles snuggle under my lap robe and watch the Kennedy Center Honors. Babs is getting honored (bout time) and I know I will love that part of it. Perhaps I shall TiVo it and keep it forever.

Did I tell you I had a TiVo? It actually isn't a TiVo it is a DVR (or some damn thing like that) from the cable company. I can record two shows at once and it is nice (now that I have it figured out) - The $30 Tape Recorder died and I decided on this. The disadvantage is that I can't keep the tapes and play them over and over. But you know I have a whole box of tapes that I have kept and never play. So this will meet my needs. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL. Hugs, j-bear

P.S. I never go out on New Year's Eve.  Almost 40 years ago two friends were hit by a train and killed on New Year's Eve.  Since that time I have stayed in that evening.  Tonight I decided to break that tradition.  I went on line and purchased a ticket for the Des Moines Symphony New Year's Eve Pops performance at the Civic Center in Des Moines.  I am excited.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

I too had a most excellent evening. Thank you for treating me to another hidden gem of Des Moines.

Have a great time at the Symphony, I'm a bit jealous.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

We don't go out on New Years Eve either. But I hope you have a terrific time at the symphony.

And DVRs are great, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

'Bout time you got some new socks!

(Aw, C;MON! I'd KIDDING!)