Thursday, December 11, 2008

This is Huge

I sent an e-mail this morning to a former student that I had not heard from for over a year.

I got an e-mail right back from him informing me that he had "reproduced" - Yes that is what he wrote. And that is one of the reasons I really like him. Peter was always "ahead of the curve." He is a talented, unique, individual who lives his life on his own terms. He became a friend as well as a student.

Max was born
October 21st. Some details: he was 22 inches long and weighed 9 pounds 6 ounces. ... I love him, and did instantly.

I am so happy for this event. Congratulations and I know that you and your wife are going to have some beautiful times with this remarkable baby. (And I think he looks like you)

He got to me with one comment in his e-mail which I will quote here because it stroked my ego.
The only thing I can think to say is that after all these years you still remain in my thoughts and I can say without a doubt that you have had a lasting positive effect on my life. That's pretty huge.
A person can't hear things like that without feeling a lot of gratitude for the years of being privileged to work with young people. I am never quite sure of how I did and then every once in awhile I see something like this and I am grateful. So Peter is married, living in Seattle and has had an interesting life. It was good to "catch up." Another reason I am glad for the Internets. Always Remember That You Are Loved. Bear Hugs from j.

1 comment:

Raven said...

Well, I know that all the young people who you have worked with have been very blessed indeed. Really good teachers are such a precious gift in one's life. Oh... and that's a really beautiful baby.