Saturday, December 6, 2008

Home Decorations

This is the beautiful Poinsettia which was given to me by the Worthy Grand Matron and Worthy Grand Patron and which is my only Christmas decoration at this time.
From Wikipedia:

Euphorbia pulcherrima, commonly named poinsettia, is a species of flowering plant indigenous to Mexico, and native to the Pacific coast of the United States. The shrub occurs in some parts of central and southern Mexico, and a few localities in Guatemala.[1] The name "poinsettia" is after Brother Joel Roberts Poinsett, the first United States Ambassador to Mexico, who introduced the plant into the US in 1828. The alternative names for the poinsettia are: Cuetlaxochitl (in Nahuatl mexican language), Mexican flame leaf, Christmas star, Winter rose, Noche Buena, Lalupatae, Atatürk çiçeği ("Flower of Atatürk", in Turkey), Αλεξανδρινό (Alexandrian, in Greece), Pasqua and Stella di Natale (in Italy).

I went down in the basement (Well actually, I didn't go but someone did for me) and brought up the boxes containing this lamp. It had been boxed up while my sister was living here for various reasons. My grandmother had an antique shop and I grew up surrounded by beautiful things of a bygone era. I am not sure where she obtained this lamp but she had it and I remember it from my earlier days. When my grandmother died in 1959 my grandfather sold the lamp. He immediately regretted doing so. One of my aunts knew the woman who had purchased it. (I do not remember her name) She was contacted and the lamp was bought back from her. It has been in our home ever since. I love the thing and am so happy to have it out again and I just think it is so beautiful I wanted to share it with you. I moved Ginny's lamp out to the kitchen and it looks nice there. ARTYAL, Hugs again j-bear.

3 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Both the lamp and the poinsettia are quite beautiful.

Happy St. Nicholas Day.

Ur-spo said...

Last year our poinsetta lasted until May.

kenju said...

I have a similar lamp that belonged to my parents, as well as other antiques I grew up with. I love old things! Your lamp is pretty.

In Costa Rica, I saw a poinsettia in a hotel garden that was 8 feet tall!