Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Real Christmas


I just read this on a blog

"We also packed some sandwiches, cookies, and a jug of egg nogg and found my homeless friends who were still hanging out and gave them the food we brought along. I had found a bargain on some blankets when I was shopping. They had these nice wool blankets marked down cheap and I bought a couple and we gave them both a nice new blanket that will hopefully keep them a littler warmer tonight. At first they didn't really know what to say or how to act. They kept insisting they had to give us something in return and started rummaging through their bags looking for something to give us. When they finally understood we wanted nothing in return, the one guy reached out and shook my hand and had a few tears in his eyes. He replied again that he wished he had something he could give us. As I looked at him standing there with that new blanket wrapped around his shoulders and a smile on his face I told him he had already given us the best gift we could have received."
I think that is one of the nicest things I have read today and I have read a lot. I have had some fun with Christmas finding things to share with you all. I am sure that the writer lives the true spirit of Chrisitanity by doing "unto one of the least of these"

Matthew tells us:

4"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

It is a beautiful reminder to me that it is really what Christmas and Christianity is really all about. God gave us a wonderful gift at Christmas. (Whenever that really was) The gift of how to live with one another in peace and love. For that I express my heartfelt gratitude. It is not for looking at people and thinking they are condemned to hell for whatever reason or that we are "better" than they are. No it is the reason the Christ came (and still comes) to us to show us how to be fully human.

For each and every one of my readers and friends and even for those who aren't friends but who I have learned from. I wish only the best for each of you. I really hope that someday each and every person will learn how to live with every other person on this planet and treat each person with the respect and dignity that they deserve. Seeing the smile on someone's face is really seeing God smile. Somewhere I read that in "giving we receive" - That is a truth. God Bless each and every one of you and remember that You Are Loved - Always. Hugs, j

3 comments:

Fran said...

Peace ever wide and deep and enduring to you this Christmas and always!

Anonymous said...

...I entertain no enmity nor ill will against a soul on earth...
One of the more powerful aspirations, I believe, in our work. And much to be desired.
Merry Christmas Jay!

Ur-spo said...

A very Happy Christmas to you and all your darlings!

I am glad to have you as a blogger buddy.