Friday, December 12, 2008

Musicial Interlude

Certain Republican Senators defeated the bailout for the Big Three car manufacturers. They did it because they don't like the Unions. They want to break the unions by forcing bankruptcy on the companies. Never mind that THREE MILLION jobs would be lost if these companies go under. Let's stick it to the little guy.

As a proud lifetime member of the National Education Association and the Iowa State Education Association (Education "Unions" if you will) I am "sticking with the Unions" as one of the songs below states. Every benefit I got as a teacher. Everyraise, every protection I had from arbitrary and dictatorial school boards and (some) administrators I got because of my "union" and if not for them I would not have the retirement benefits which I have.

Over the years I have listened to the songs below and never really valued them as much as I do now. Their composers and performers are "International Treasurers." Listen to their messages.





And just because I love this song and it makes me cry I offer this last song. Don't Laugh At Me! - I dedicate it to Andrew who put something on his blog that he should think about removing.

5 comments:

Kurt said...

I think it's defeat in the Senate was one of the best things for the unions.

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Ten.) added an amendment that would place a cap on labor and benefit spending in the auto industry to a level lower than currently paid to the majority of workers. So, in other words, had it passed the Senate, union members would have to take a deduction in pay and benefits that is government mandated, and not negotiable. If this were to pass, collective bargaining in the auto industry would be frivolous. Thankfully for unions, it did not.

For more information on the Corker Amendment, take a look at: http://senateconservatives.com/2008/12/11/text-of-corker-auto-bailout-amendment/

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

But it was because of a Republican that it was put on there. Hopefully Bush will do the right thing and release some of the other money to the car makers.

Kurt said...

The Democrats are just as guilty, remember, they hold the majority.
Sen. Reid added an amendment to increase the pay of judges as well.

Ur-spo said...

i suspect it is more complicated than GOP hating the unions, but what that is I do not know.

Dianne said...

I can't talk about this contry's treatment of workers without ranting so I won't - you know me well enough to know what I think

the last video is so touching and real - 'don't get your pleasure from my pain' - that's one American sport I wish we'd start failing at