Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Party

I drove to Des Moines tonight to attend the Za Ga Zig Shrine Past Master's Club Christmas Party. This was the view as I drove up Locust towards the state capitol. I love the effects of the picture. The red, green and blue lights on the trees along the streets in downtown Des Moines are beautiful. Thanks Matt!
The Christmas tree at the Hilltop Resturant on Hubble.
An attentive group of Shriners and their ladies.
The room was pretty full.
I sat next to Most Worshipful Grand Master Bob Wilson of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge. He is an honorary member of the club and often attends the Third degrees. I enjoyed getting to know this fascinating man and learning more about the history of Prince Hall Masonry in Iowa. I am trying to entice him to write a guest post about it for the blog.
I always try to take a picture of Eldon when we are at events together. Just because I know it annoys him.
Proof (sort of) that I paid my dues.
Bryce and Natilie in the "obligatory" pose. Bryce took off his Fez for the picture.
New officers were elected and installed.
Al Dunlap was awarded a special plaque for all the work he does by transporting the costumes and equipment to the degrees.
The Potentate was there to present the award.
"Bud" Erickson gave the Recorder's report.

I am not terribly active in the Shrine but I enjoy the Past Master's Club. They are a great group of guys and travel around the state to put on the second sections of the Third (Master Mason) Degree in coutume. Bob and I were the last ones to leave. We just kept talking and I enjoyed the evening a lot.

Earlier today I had to sit at home and wait for the UPS delivery.  My wine came.  Marcia Dolezal brought some 14 hands wine to Thanksgiving and I really liked it.  She said that you couldn't get it around here so I went on line and ordered 10 bottles of it. As luck would have it I just got out of the shower when the truck pulled up.  The UPS driver was nice.  He has a Yorkie that just had puppies.  Two Boys and two girls.  If I weren't sort of committed to getting a rescue dog next time I might have considered getting another one. But I will wait.  Bailey is pretty good but is a little arthritic in the left rear hip.  But I guess he is entitled he is 13.   Thanks for stopping by, ARTYAL, Bear Hugs, jcs

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

wow Shriners really do wear those hats.
I suppose you have already blogged about it but where do these fez hats come from?

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

I am not sure where they came from. I know that they used to wear them in Egypt (without the glitter on them. The order is called AAONMS. Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and bases everything in Egyptian type of things. I shall have to research it.