Monday, December 15, 2008

Too good to wait til Friday

Blame Doug for this one:

An older, tired-looking dog wandered into my yard; I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home and was well taken care of.

He calmly came over to me, I gave him a few pats on his head; he then followed me into my house, slowly walked down the hall, curled up in the corner and fell asleep. An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, greeted me in my yard, walked inside and resumed his spot in the hall and again slept for about an hour. This continued off and on for several weeks.

Being curious, I pinned a note to his collar: 'I would like to find out who the owner of this wonderful sweet dog is and ask if you are aware that almost every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap.

The next day he arrived for his nap, with a different note pinned to his collar: 'He lives in a home with 6 children, 2 under the age of 3 - he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?

And Don for this one:

Subject: Changing a Lightbulb--The Christian Way--Guaranteed to Offend Everybody


How many Christians does it take to change a light bulb?

Charismatic : Only 1. Hands are already in the air.

Pentecostal : 10. One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.

Presbyterians : None. Lights will go on and off at predestined times.

Roman Catholic : None. Candles only.

Baptists : At least 15. One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.

Episcopalians: 3. One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks and one to talk about how much better the old one was.

Mormons : 5. One man to change the bulb, and four wives to tell him how to do it.

Unitarians : We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, you are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, 3-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

Methodists : Undetermined. Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out,you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to pass.

Nazarene : 6. One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.

Lutherans: None. Lutherans don't believe in change.

Amish : What's a light bulb?

*****************************************
I spent most of today learning to use my new DVR and waiting for the Cable Guy to come and fix the problem. He came (3 of him) and it now is set up...Yes I know Don, I should not watch TV but there are some things I like and I have to be able to record my Soap. I don't really watch Genreal Hospital but I have it on while I am doing other things. I used to read while I watched TV and sometimes the story on the TV and the one in the book got a little mixed up.

Three pictures were taken at Lodge tonight. 1 - Our newest Brother, Joel - 2.- Brother Taner 3 -Brothers Dave and Ron going over Passport to Light ,
I also spent an inordinate amount of time getting the deposit ready for the Treasurer to pick up and the pre minutes for the meeting tonight. We had a first Degree tonight. It was a really nice degree with several people in new positions. I was very impressed with our newest Brother.

Paul tells me that we are probably going to have an ice storm on Thursday and we are supposed to have snow (3 - 5 inches) tomorrow. I HATE winter. I have been reading that some bloggers are planning a trip to Key West. I am really jealous. One of them lives in Phoenix. It is warm there. I am also envious (Aren't they the same thing Jay. Of course they are but I don't like to use the same words over and over.)

I watched The First Wives Club on TV last night. I really liked that show. Especially because Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton were in it. It is a 1996 movie and pure fun. I really wish there were more movies like that right now. When I go to the theater I see a lot of previews and most of them do not really appeal to me. Sometimes I just want to watch the fun stuff and I don't mean the sophomoric fun that seems to pervade the movies today. Mamma Mia was a really good movie (but they should have had someone dub Pierce's singing) and I enjoyed it. I think I would like to see Meryl Streep, Whoopie Goldberg, and Bette Midler in a film together. Probably won't ever happen but a guy can dream can't he.

I have probably babbled on long enough. Sorry I haven't done much original blogging. I have been reading other blogs and just don't seem to have much worth saying. Thanks for stopping by ARTYAL. Bear Hugs, Stay warm. j

No comments: