Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

I ran out to the cemetery to take a few pictures in-between getting the place ready for me to be gone. I have to move "stuff" fix a barricade so the boys can be in the kitchen, do laundry, pay bills, pack.etc,. etc., etc. I did want to go out to the Ames cemetery to take pictures of the flags and some of the tombstones. The one above is on the lot owned by the Lodge. I believe there is only one person buried there. Not sure of the history. It would ba a good thing to research.

This is my mother's stone/ It is on my grandparent's lot and I used to put a nice hanging basket on the shepherd's crook. I got a lavender geranium one year and hung it up on Sunday before Memorial Day. When I went out on Monday to get it as I did not want it to die, it was gone. I thought perhaps my sister had taken it but no, it had been stolen. Some low life person took the flowers I had gotten to honor my mother and stolen them before Memorial Day was over. Needless to say a letter to the editor was written and it was the last time I did that.

One time I had asked my mother if she wanted a brick on the Plaza of Heroines at Iowa State University.. She had worked there when I was growing up but she said no that she would rather the money went to something that would help someone who needed it. So I took her advice and since that time I have made a yearly donation in her memory to Youth and Shelter Services which is an organization which helps young people in trouble. It is run by a friend of mine and I was on the Board at one time so I like to give to them.












These (except for the mausoleum marked Greeley) are some of the family tombstones. You can click to embiggen them. The Coles were builders and Great Grandfather Underwood was a lawyer and mayor of Ames at one time.

Every year the Ames Patriotic Council sees to it that the flags are placed and taken down for Memorial Day. Each flag was given by the family of a veteran who is buried in the Cemetery. The Patriotic Council (of which I am a Past President) is also responsible for putting up the flags on Main street and on Fifth street and the Veteran's Memorial at the corner of Fifth and Grand Avenues. They arrange for the Veteran's Day program in the Fall (November 11) and the Memorial Day Parade and Program as well. It is a great organization and is a real asset to our community. I hope you enjoy looking at the photos below. They are a reminder to me of what this day is all about.











1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

that is sweet of you do all of this. I know few people going to the cemetary today, let alone remembering what the day is really about.