Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Monday

OK, my big experience of the day was to have laser surgery on my left eye. I have glaucoma and it is supposed to reduce the pressure in my eye. The entire procedure took about 20 minutes. And part of it was a little painful. Holding my head against the machine at that angle gave me an ache in my neck and was not much fun. Some of the laser shots hit a nerve in my eye and it was like a pin prick. Not what I would call fun but hopefully it worked.



The Dr. and all the folks over at McFarland Eye clinic are very nice and in fact one of my parents (that is parent of a former student for those of you who are not teachers) works there and it is always nice to see her. So I went over around 1:00 and was home by 1:45 in time to watch General Hospital. Then it was back to the Clinic where they checked the pressure in my eye and it was fine.
Jon took these pictures with my Palm Pre phone. I can't tell if they are blurry or not as my vision is still blurry and probably will be until tomorrow.
I came back from the clinic and went into the bed room and slept until 6:30. I was whipped. I suppose the anticipation and the stress of thinking about it (or not) caused me to wake up at 5:30 AM this morning. (Of course it may just have been Bailey wanting to go outside.) Whatever the reason I took a loooong nap.
In the morning I went out to meet Keith at the Lodge to get a key and Jon took Miles to the vet to get his stitches out and for a walk. He got back in between the first and second visit to the eye doctor when I was watching TV. He got Miles a ball with a handle on it. While I was asleep in the back room Miles chewed the handle off the ball. I still think empty coke bottles make the best toys.
Thanks for stopping by. I am slowly getting my vision back but the world is still a little blurry - that may just be my age. Hugs, j

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

I am glad your surgery went OK.

DonM said...

I didn't have laser surgery on my eye yesterday, but it felt like it. I had a regular eye appointment for new glasses. Since I am also diabetic, it always includes an eye dilation. Up until last year, they had drops that would undo the dilation so it didn't seem so bright outside. Last year, the Dr. said they couldn't get the drops anymore, but I was in the car so it was no big deal.

Yesterday, my appointment was at 12:15. And of course, I drove the motorcycle to the appointment. And of course, it was a really bright sunshiny day with no clouds. And of course, my bike has a large chrome dashboard mounted on the tank. I did have sunglasses, but... As long as I was on a tree lines shady street, i was OK. But there is a long stretch of 1st Ave in Cedar Rapids which doesn't have much for trees, and it was aligned in just the perfect way so all the reflection from the tank went right into my eyes. I can now attest that it is possible to drive a motorcycle on a busy street with both eyes shut. Not for long, but you can close them both, and then crack one open just enough to locate cars before it fills completely with tears and you can't see out of it anyway. Kinda scary. From now on I will definitely remember to take the truck to my appointment.