Sunday, May 2, 2010

Summer storm season begins

It's the beginning of the thunderstorm season in Iowa! On Sunday afternoon a good sized thunderstorm with lots of nickel sized hail blew over east Des Moines, and Altoona. You can see the darkness of the clouds and the rain streaks in this view taken at Nevada and looking southeast. As I came back towards the city of Nevada and looked to the north west you could see wind and rain tendrils reaching down from the sky, but they just looked ominous, and blew past with no rain at all. The darker image is of the same clouds over Ames, that looked even more threating, but this time nature was just putting on a show, with no side effects
text and photos by Bob Kelly



1 comment:

DonM said...

I had the pleasure of flying from Cedar Rapids to Minnapolis about5:00 PM Sunday. It was one of the bumpier rides I have ever had. But at least it was only about 35 minutes. Of course I got the pleasure of waiting an extra 90 minutes in MSP for an airplane to take me to Atlanta (bad weather in Atlanta which is where the plane came from). Between that and the wait for my bag and the transfer to the rental car place and the 45 minute drive to Alpharetta, I got to my hotel just before 1:00 AM this morning. And then I got to get up early for a design review. I took a little nap before dinner. And then had a wonderful rack of lamb. So I guess at least that part of the trip was good.