Sunday, April 10, 2011

On Eagle's Wings

You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
who abide in His shadow for life,
say to the Lord: 'My refuge,
my God in whom I trust!'

And He will raise you up on eagles' wings,
bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun,
and hold you in the palm of His hand.

 The snare of the fowler will never capture you,
and famine will bring you no fear:
under His wings your refuge,
His faithfulness your shield.


And He will raise you up on eagles' wings,

bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun,
and hold you in the palm of His hand.

 You need not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day;
though thousands fall about you,
near you it shall not come.


And He will raise you up on eagles' wings,

bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun,
and hold you in the palm of His hand.

 For to His angels He's given a command
to guard you in all of your ways'
upon their hands they will bear you up,
lest you dash your foot against a stone.


And He will raise you up on eagles' wings,

bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun,
and hold you in the palm of His hand.

 The above is one of my favorite hymns.  I remember hearing it on a TV show when a woman with a clear bell like voice sang it at a funeral.  She began it and others joined in. It thrills me every time I hear it and I can't sing it without choking up.  It reminds me of the true God who does hold us in the palm of our hand and protects us. It also goes along with the Psalm below.   There is so very much of comfort in the Bible I fail to see how it can be perverted by people to make it a document of hatred.  It makes me sad.

Psalm 91
 1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
 2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
 3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
 4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
 5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
 6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
 7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
 8Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
 9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
 10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
 11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
 12They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
 13Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
 14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
 15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
 16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

The eagles have captured so many viewers from around the world.  The pictures are some screen grabs that I took off the web cam this morning.  I have spent a lot of time watching them and have been amazed at the patience with which the parents care for the trio of little ones.  They started out barely able to raise their heads.  They were Bobbel heads with their neck muscles not really strong enough to hold them steady.  The parents tore off tiny little pieces of fish, rabbit, bird and beaver to feed them. 


They had been sitting on the eggs, keeping them warm and we caught glimpses of them as they exchanged places.  As they each took their place they were so careful - shifting back and forth leg to leg, slowly setting down male and female sharing the responsibility to bring them to life.  Life which began as the little one struggled out of the egg.


Now has begun the time I worry abou them.  I woke up in the middle of the night last night and I was dreaming about them.  Worried that they were so high up and wondering if they would fall out of the nest.  You see they have gotten bigger and are exploring. The parent eagles still come to sit and keep them warm but the babies are like all babies they are growing and learning and getting stronger.  I shall enjoy watching them as they mature and will miss them when they fly away but it will have been a wonderful learning for me and I hope for you.  I will keep the link up on the right until they have flown.  I was going to tell you about my week but you know I may just have as everything else I did this week pales in comparison to watching "our" eagles.  Thanks for stopping by.  Hugs, j

1 comment:

Knight said...

This has always been my absolute favorite religious song to sing.