Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blueberries, Nature's Blue Jewels - Photos by Bob Kelly

A different and delicious type of Iowa farm is illustrated by the Berry Patch, located about six miles south of Nevada. This farm grows red and black raspberries, blueberries, black and red currants, strawberries, cherries, and apples, all coming into harvest at different times of the year. One can go there and "pick your own" and purchase them by the pound. It is not only fun, but you can be guaranteed they are the very freshest they could be!
These blueberries were coated with morning dew, transforming them into tiny brilliant blue jewel
The berries that are purple or red in color are not ripe yet!

The bushes are about three fee tall and are planted in long rows, and there are lots of them!
Pickers develop their own style of picking the berries.  What worked best for me was to put my hand around a cluster of blue ones and slightly rub my fingers against them, causing several of them to fall into the pail, which I held beneath them.
This my pail full of blueberries that weighed six pounds
This handful looked good enough to eat, and when I got home with them, and some were washed, that is exactly what I did!  YUMMMMM!

No comments: