Saturday, July 2, 2011

witches of east end

The author of this delightful first book in the series "lives in Los Angeles and Palm Springs with her family and is hard at work on the second book in the Beauchamp Family series."   I didn't notice that it was a series..


Damn


Damn  - a second book!   a series!


I have to wait for the next part of the story!


Damn.


I don't like waiting.  Especially when I have really enjoyed a book.  Now I shall have to look for an alert at her web site.  Perhaps Amazon will have a pre-publication offer and I can buy it and it will just come automatically (Although the last time I did that I purchased the book at Borders (love Borders) and had to return the one to Amazon..)


Be that as it may I found the writing in this delightful book about witches to be well crafted. (intended)  Three witches who are supposed to live and not use their powers because of an edict of the Council several hundred years ago but who are drawn back into the use of magic because of their needs and the needs of their friends.  Witches, vampires, zombies, ancient Norse gods..  All play a part in this book which grabbed me right from the start and kept me interested all the way through.


Just a sample:


If possible the house looked more impressive than it had at the party, with its vast open spaces empty of people.  The grand piano gleamed in the moonlight, and Bran opened the French doors so they could hear the sound of the ocean.  The house was so large, the main hall could hold an army, and the residential wing might as well have been in a whole other zip code.  Freya walked over to the bar cart and made Bran a martini, extra dry.  The bottled olives looked a little puny, but with a tap of her finger they turned jucy and plump.  She fed him the olves one by one and he downed the drink in one gulp.
As I said, I enjoyed the writing and the story and am looking forward to the next one.. Damn I hate waiting.

No comments: