Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cowboys and Aliens

I went to the movie this afternoon.  As usual the experience was marred by the poor service and crummy theater here in Ames.  Cinemark 12 had one person selling tickets for the 1:20 film and as a result there was a long line.  Someone came out and then opened up the other half of the ticket booth.  They have a Kiosk in the theater where you can go to purchase a ticket with a credit card but it was not turned on.

Eventually they turned it on and then announced that you could purchase tickets there.  The line shortened considerably so I remained outside and got my ticket.  Inside they had two people popping corn and serving corn and there was one long line and people were worrying about whether or not they would make it inside before their movie started.  Eventually the person who had been out helping with the extra tickets came and helped the two (slower than molasses) kids who were popping the corn.  She suggested we form two lines..There had been two lines and people would split as they got to the head of the line.  The two ladies who were in front of me split and the asshole behind me tried to cut in front of me...He didn't get the job done.  Both of the ladies bought candy and made the clerk describe the candy to them,  Sweet.

Anyway I got into the theater and my "spot" on the left side was taken but there was another one and so I settled in.  The previews had already started but I had not missed the beginning of the film.

If you like westerns (and I do) and space monsters (again I'm there) you will enjoy this flick.  The premise is that aliens have come to earth to mine for gold.  While here they capture some of the natives for study to see how they can defeat them and take over the world so that they can get the gold.  It has the usual..Bad guy with a heart of gold, old preacher, Cattle rancher tough guy, his son the out of control do what you want entitled twerp, Indians (must have Indians (or to be politically correct Native Americans) a couple of beautiful women (why is it that the women in these Westerns are always pretty....I mean have you ever seen a picture of the real dance hall girls?) and a dog...this film has it all. And then some.

Daniel Craig is one of my favorite actors.  I enjoy him and while he may be playing the same person over and over at least it is well played and is in different venues.  Harrison Ford may not have won an Oscar but if he is in a film it is worth your time to go and see it.  Besides which he has good taste and has been rumored from time to time to fly his plane into Ames to eat at our Hickory Park.  The second best Barbecue in Ames.  Olivia Wilde as the beautiful woman has an integral part in this fanciful battle with the aliens.  I won't tell you more because I don't want to spoil the film for you.

Here is the trailer.  Let me know if you saw it and what you thought of it.  I thoroughly enjoyed it . I helped get the bad taste out of my mouth left by the truly awful Bad Teacher.



Oh and just one more thing. When i got home tonight I found out that the History Channel is running one of its usual fanciful programs full of wild eyed (and haired) "experts" who tell us that aliens may have landed on earth and interacted with people in pioneer times,,,especially interesting is that Moroni  who spoke with Joseph Smith and started the Mormon religion was an ancient alien.  Who knows?  One thing about the History Channel is that it asks more questions than it gives answers.  They wonder if the film Cowboys and Aliens could have had basis in fact.  Geeesh!  Think I'll watch Sex and the Civil War. That is the next offering tonight or better yet I shall read my book.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

it is a brilliant combination; why did no one think of this sooner?