Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lesson

A search for an article by Mary Baker Eddy which I wanted to post here led me to this Blog:  thought gently whispers.  The Blogger is a Christian Science Practitioner and I find it a worthwhile read.

The article which I wanted to comment on is from one of Mary Baker Eddy's other writings and is entitled.

TAKING OFFENSE

Mary Baker Eddy

   There is immense wisdom in the old proverb, "He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty."  Hannah More said, "If I wished to punish my enemy, I should make him hate somebody."
   To punish ourselves for others' faults, is superlative folly.  The mental arrow shot from another's bow is practically harmless, unless our own thought barbs it.


It is our pride that makes another's criticism rankle, our self-will that makes another's deed offensive, our egotism that feels hurt by another's self-assertion.  Well may we feel wounded by our own faults; but we can hardly afford to be miserable for the faults of others.


   A courtier told Constantine that a mob had broken the head of his statue with stones.  The emperor lifted his hands to his head, saying: "It is very surprising, but I don't feel hurt in the least."



(This next is the part that I really love)

   We should remember that the world is wide; that there are a thousand million different human wills, opinions, ambitions, tastes, and loves; that each person has a different history, constitution, culture, character, from all the rest; that human life is the work, the play, the ceaseless action and reaction upon each other of these different atoms.  



Then, we should go forth into life with the smallest expectations, but with the largest patience; with a keen relish for and appreciation of everything beautiful, great, and good, but with a temper so genial that the friction of the world shall not wear upon our sensibilities; with an equanimity so settled that no passing breath nor accidental disturbance shall agitate or ruffle it; with a charity broad enough to cover the whole world's evil, and sweet enough to neutralize what is bitter in it, - determined not to be offended when no wrong is meant, nor even when it is, unless the offense be against God.


   Nothing short of our own errors should offend us.  He who can wilfully attempt to injure another, is an object of pity rather than of resentment; while it is a question in my mind, whether there is enough of a flatterer, a fool, or a liar, to offend a whole-souled woman."

(Or man...)



I used to get very angry at people and things and would sometimes read this passage to settle myself.  Sometimes it worked beautifully and at other times I failed to take the lesson to heart and mind and held on to the anger.  In my current life I like to think I have grown some so that I am getting better but I have to re-read it every once in awhile to remind me of the necessity to "subdue my anger and or resentment."


It is unrealistic to expect that everything will always go according to plan or that "everyone" will go along with us or agree with everything we say.  That is one reason why the Freemasons prohibit discussion of religion or politics in their Lodges.  


Last Saturday at our Masonic Rosicrucian meeting Frater John led a discussion which he based on the ideas of learning from the Stair lecture in the Fellowcraft Degree.


One of our new members wrote a thank-you note to the group.  He said:


"I also want to thank all of you for the discussion last night.  While I may not agreed with all of the premises put forth, after what I deal with on a daily basis it was simply enjoyable to hear arguments put forth based on real passion and with everyone being able to do so in a respectful manner and ending the night as friends.  That is too infrequent in my life."


It was a good discussion and the type of discussion which caused us to think.  Some people there did not comment on the topic but I would venture to say that everyone participated and all had much to think about on the way home and in the days to follow.  I know I did.  25 men sitting around after dinner having a chance to discuss Freemasonry and learn from each other and grow.. Somehow I think that is what the founders had in mind.  And I think it is, quite possibly, what they did during their Festive Boards and after the meetings.  Men talking together, enjoying each others, company and sharing of wisdom. Without "taking offense."  As Mrs. Eddy said:  " human life is the work, the play, the ceaseless action and reaction upon each other of these different atoms."
Saturday's meeting was Freemasonic life at its best.

No comments: