Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Salute - IV

Helen Keller was my contemporary in that she and I were both alive at the same time.  I used to wonder at this woman who was blind and deaf at how she "saw"
 things.  When you read her quotes I think you will find that she is most worthy of a Sunday Salute.
From Wikipedia.

Helen Adams Keller (June 27, 1880 – June 1, 1968) was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She was the first deafblind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree. The story of how Keller's teacher, Anne Sullivan, broke through the isolation imposed by a near complete lack of language, allowing the girl to blossom as she learned to communicate, has become widely known through the dramatic depictions of the play and film The Miracle Worker.  Read the article here.


Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn whatever state I am in, therin to be content


I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.


Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.


Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness.


Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.


No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.


Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousand of miles and all the years you have lived.


The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.


When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.


The highest result of education is tolerance.


When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.

No comments: