Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Power of the Internets

When disaster strikes we all come together to help each other. Last night a friend I had never met or spoken to called me from New Jersey to let me know that she and her family were all right. 

We both blog and became what I call Blogfriends. She wanted me to help her put up a post on her blog so that folks would know she was safe. 

She has a generator and her son has it hooked up to supply the neighborhood. Long extension cords running from it to the neighbors houses. But no Internet access. 

Thankfully I was able to post for her and her friends now have the message. It makes me feel like I have been able to do something to help. Hold these folks in thought that they will come through this. She is very fortunate. Others living there not so much.

Dianne is not my only blogfriend but she is perhaps the oldest. I had never heard her voice nor she mine and yet we are friends. We have never looked each other in the eye nor (until last night) heard each other's voice. In order to talk to me she had to sit in her car and use her phone plugged into the car.  Everything she does requires planning and preparation.  

As I said we had never spoken and yet I knew her voice and she mine.  We both commented on how we sounded like we had imagined the other would sound.

That is her granddaughter, Hope in the picture with her.  Again, a little girl I have never met and yet I feel as if I know her and as if she is a part of my family.  When I look at the pictures Dianne has posted I see an "old soul" and she is so very wise.  

Perhaps someday we will all meet.  If it is not to be at least I have had the incredible experience of knowing them through the power of the Internet.

Dianne and family I am so very glad that you and yours are safe and that Love will sustain you through all of this. The biggest of HUGS to you all. (even though I know you may not see this for months.)  All my love,  Jay