Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday Salute XXXV

From Wikipedia

Martha Raye (August 27, 1916 – October 19, 1994) was an American comic actress and standards singer who performed in movies, and later on television. She was honored in 1969 with an Academy Award as the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award recipient for her volunteer efforts and services to the troops.

I can remember the Bob Hope shows in Vietnam and around the world. While I don't want to take anything away from those photo opportunities I want to salute Col. Maggie. The only woman buried in the Special Forces Cemetery at Ft. Bragg.  I remember reading about her quiet work with the armed services and how she would put on a show even if it was not for a large crowd.  She was also a nurse and would help out with the nursing of wounded soldiers.  You can read some personal experiences about them here.  Also you can read about her at Snopes.


"I didn`t have to work till I was three. But after that, I never stopped."

"Few people actually know me or take me seriously. I thought success in show business was the answer to everything. It isn`t. I don`t know what is."

"Only cowards give up the search for happiness because they`re afraid of getting hurt.”

"My career is my whole life. I`ll always work."

"I must have been hypnotized by the spotlight. I never realized I was being culturally deprived, that I was having a lousy upbringing. We were too busy making a living to worry about stuff like that."



So I salute you Maggie we still love you!


Previous Salutes
Bill Clinton    Brad Pitt   The Masons     Barbra Striesand
Ellen DeGeneres  Edward "Ted" Kennedy  Paul Newman
Michelle Obama  Audrey Hepburn     Princess Diana    Harry S Truman   
John Shelby Spong  Nelson Mandella     Rachael Maddow   Matt Damon  
Jehan Sadat   Jane Goodall    Mohandas Gandhi  
 Eleanor Roosevelt    Lyndon B. Johnson      Michelle Obama
Helen Hayes   Marion Wright Edelman     Bishop Gene Robinson
Bishop Desmond Tutu       Rachel Carson          Helen Keller
Martin Luther King, Jr          Dalai Lama         Dag Hammarskjold

1 comment:

Harpers Keeper said...

Thanks for the reminder of a great name from the past.