Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Some Dogs I Have Known



Over my 67 years I have know a lot of dogs. Some were canine - others were human. This is about the canine ones I have known.

The first illustration is to show that dogs have been around for thousands of years. They have been our companions and faithful friends for - well forever. We connect with them and they with us.

I think that there has always been a dog in my life. When I was a kid my grandparents had a little black and tan (terrier I think) called Patsy. If the dog in the Egyptian picture were black it would have looked like the one in the painting








This is a picture of "Buddy". He belongs to my friend Sam and likes to help Estelle with the dishes. I had a girl friend once who had a standard poodle as a pet. They kept it tied up outside all the time in all kinds of weather. I found many things about this that I didn't like and needless to say it was one of the contributing factors to my not continuing in that relationship.












We have always liked Shelties. My nephews's dog Max (this is not him) lives with me and is a nice dog,,,until someone comes to the door or until I leave him alone. I have a cold and sore throat and went in to lie down this afternoon. When I came out I had to clean up chewed paper towel which he had left all over the room for me. He is good with "his" people. He is nuts about Jonathan and my aunt Jo and goes wild when they come. He also loves to bark and you sure could not sneak up on us with him in the house.
Max was a replacement for Murphy which Mom and I got for Jonathan when he was a little kid. I wish I had the picture of them in the back seat of my car. It was just sweet. Murphy was a great dog.


I had a Sheltie that looked like this one once. My friends Maryjane and Morrie came down to visit us and they went out to look at dogs and we went with them. Kelsey and I looked at each other and just connected - instantly.

At that time we had a really nice part Sheltie called Mandy and she was really the smartest, nicest dog we ever had. The secretary at my school told me about this Sheltie and her five pups that were going to be killed because the owner didn't want them. I told her I would find homes for them. And I did. One of them in our home. Ginny really wanted that dog and so we kept her.

Anyway I connected with Kelsey and Morrie and Maryjane saw that I wanted him and they said that I should get him. I did not want to because I didn't think it would be fair to Mandy but Ginny and Mom said to get him. I really loved that dog. He slept with me and was "my" dog. He used to run around in circles (probably because he was kennel raised) when he got excited.

He was with us a long time. When he finally got to the place where he was no longer having a quality of life and was not able to control his bladder we decided to do the last thing we could for him. Mom and I were living on Southdale and I had the vet come over and put him down. I sat on the floor and held him and petted him and he got the shot and just went to sleep. Mom and I went for a drive and when we got home I opened the door to the house and I 'saw" him jumping up and down, excited to see me. WHETHER OR NOT YOU BELIEVE WHAT I SAW, it was very comforting.




I have always liked Beagles and German Shepherds. My aunt Fran raised them


I used to have beagles but the hunting instinct in them was so strong that they would catch the scent of a rabbit and off they would go. I lost three of them to the road before we decided that this breed was really not going to be the one for us.







Our Friends Maryjane and Morrie had two dogs when we first met them. A St. Bernard named Mojo and a chihuahua named Mitzi

Mitzi was really just their dog and would not have much to do with the rest of us. Mojo was a wet mouth Saint and was everybody's dog. He loved to sit on my lap. (Have you ever had a St. Bernard sit on your lap?) What an experience.

It was fun to have them in the cabin next door at the lake and we all became very close. Our dog and their Saint got along together (although little tiny alpha Mitzi didn't do much but lay in her pink blankie and make threatening noises at us). She loved Mary and Morrie however. Mary and Morrie switched to Shelties after Mojo and Mitzi went to doggie heaven.

Of course I now have Bailey as my friend. I really do feel like he is a part of me. He is leaning up against my leg right now as I blog. I really needed something in my life after my mother passed and Bailey filled that void.

My aunt Jo had a full size Collie named Lonnie. That dog was devoted to her daughter and would "herd" her as a kid out of harms way. She was beautiful and reminded me of Lassie of Television Fame. I don't think Cousin Chris liked being herded but she loved the dog.

My other cousins had a black cocker spaniel who was a throwback. She had short hair. She would come over to our house across the field whenever uncle Carl was shooting his gun or just when she wanted to visit. Carl used to sit her on his lap at supper time and feed her from his fork. I know I will remember her name as soon as I post this. She was a really sweet dog and my cousins would fight over who got to sleep with her each night. I remebered - Cindy

Lots of people have dogs and they are great companions for us. I personally like them better than cats (but don't tell Cassie - She thinks she is the alpha). I have a lot more dogs I could write about but I think I will quit for now and take a nap. Come up here Buddy and snuggle. ARTYAL. Hugs, jcs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that running in circles is due to being kennel raises. I think it is just normal behavior, instinct, whatever. My Rottie, who was born and raised in a house, well socialized, and who has lived IN (not outside) my house for the past four years, spins like a top when he gets excited.

And yes, he is more than happy to shred paper towels, napkins, kleenexes, anything on that order. Sigh.