Monday, March 10, 2008

Elizabeth C. Bunce, A.K.A. Stephanie Coon

I had to make a decision today. Would I go to Lodge in Des Moines or would I go to the Ames Public Library to see a former student launch her book. There really was no decision to make. I remember Stephanie, who was in my Fifth grade class at Edwards Elementary School here in Ames about 1984.

It was so much fun to meet with her and see her again. She had a pretty good sized group there including former teachers, family and friends. The book is a retelling of the story of Rumplestilzskin and it is beautifully written. I encourage you all to purchase and read it. A Curse Dark As Gold is well written and you will enjoy the imagery and character development in the story. I blogged about it here.











Susan (who lives in my great grandfather's house) from The Little Bookroom - 328 Main St. Ames - (515-233-2126) has the book. Tell her Jay sent you.
Elizabeth's (Stephanie's) parents















Husband Chris and friends Marcus (who was also in that Fifth Grade Class and Amy.













Just a small part of the audience.















Stephanie knew I was going to be there because I had looked her up and sent her an e-mail. She gave me permission to share what she had written to me. I had told her that she should call me Jay now.

Dear Mr. Simser,

or Dear Jay (no, no, I'm afraid it just won't take.),

What an absolute thrill it was to receive your note! I am delighted to hear that you'll be coming to the launch Monday night. I'm sorry that it's taken so long to respond; I'm still a little shell-shocked by all the attention CURSE is getting, and I'm afraid I've fallen behind my correspondence!

I am so excited to see you again, and if I don't get a chance to say this to you then, I remember your fifth grade class so fondly--for the books we read (Peppermints in the Parlor, The Phantom Tollbooth), for your injections of hilarity into the weekly spelling lists, for your amazing knack for engaging all your students. You were the first teacher I ever had who made it "cool" to be smart, and yet I also remember you sitting there with gobbets of Fun-Tak streaming from your nostrils. It really takes a special soul to balance all of that, and I feel very lucky to have passed through your classroom.

Take care, and I'll see you soon.

~Stephanie

OK, I should not make this about me but you know teachers don't always get that kind of feedback and it really boosts my ego. Even the Fun-Tak. I did not need a class clown in my room because I was the class clown.

Anyway back to Stephanie, I told her that if her book had been available when I was teaching it would have been one of those I would read to the class. Stephanie read to us from her book, talked about the process of writing and how this story got published. Her publisher was also publishing the Harry Potter Books here in the US while this was going on.

One of the things she mentioned a couple of times was the fact that in the fairy tale the miller's daughter had no name. She gave her a name. Charlotte Miller. I have not thought much about how names empower a character. Her (Charlotte's) sisters name is Rosie which is short for Rosellen. That is a name I really liked.

I have not finished reading the book yet but I have a feeling I know how it ends. After all, as I told Stephanie, it is Rumplestiltzskin. I am excited, however to see how she develops the story. So far I have not been disappointed.

Stephanie and her husband have 10 dogs. Coon hounds - Stephanie told me that she and her husband were coming home one day and found this dog which had been hit by a car. They took her to the vet and now they own the mother and her nine puppies...except they aren't puppies anymore.

(Stephanie if you read this... I seem to remember that when you lived across the street from me on Eisenhower you had a small dog. A Lasha or something. Or am I just old. Leave me a comment if I am right or even if I am left. )

It was an absolutely delightful evening and even though I didn't get to see my Brother's at Acanthus I am sure they will understand. This was such a good evening. ARTYAL. Hugs - j-bear

3 comments:

Dianne said...

what a lovely young woman

I will buy her book

her note to you made me teary (good tears) - look at the impact your life has on others!

well done Jay, uh - Mr. Simser

Larry said...

I think I'm going to have to check this book out. It was great to read her letter it sounds like you were a pretty cool teacher (not that I ever doubted that)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful description of the events of Monday night. I sometimes forget that I was a teacher over forty five years ago, and I still remember many of the children I taught. If only they had the opportunity to know.
Stephanie does know, she had wonderful teachers in Ames, and you were one of the really special ones. You made learning fun for a young girl who loved to dream, imagine, and read. You helped her to do just that. She really believed in herself after the Mr. Simser year, and we all thank you for being there at her first launch. That was the reason she came "home" to talk to those who helped fire that desire to write,and grow into that first novel.