Thursday, March 13, 2008

Found on a Blog

I found this on a blog today and am shamelessly stealing it because I think it is something to relate to. Hope he doesn't mind if I stole it.

Every once in a while a patient will actually ask me “What is mental health?”
After decades of training and personal learning, I have distilled concepts down to 8 aspects. These eight are easily understood by patients; they can take them home to ponder. I call them My 8 spokes in the Wheel of Mental Health.
You like what you do
This is not ‘You do what you like’; these two statements are not the same thing. The point - you find meaning in what you do daily. Sometimes we consciously take a job merely to earn money and pay the bills. Otherwise it is hoped we are in a career rather than ‘just work’ – and from it we can derive meaning and satisfaction.
You like where you live
This is a luxury originating in the past century or so. One hopes to be in a region or state or environment where you feel is ‘home’.
You are continually growing
Many religions and psychologies emphasize the need for continual growth. Life has no stasis. Sometimes a new analysand would ask me ‘how long will this take?” I would reply -‘With me, perhaps 6 months to a year. I hope though this will take a lifetime.”
You are doing some sort of altruism
Helping out others is paradoxically a good way to help yourself. It may be as simple as volunteering; it may be part of your job.
You have significant others with whom you share your life.
Perhaps not a mate or a spouse, but friends and family and significant others with whom you share your life’s journey.
You are taking care of your body
This is so obvious to me I sometimes fail to point it out. Our minds and bodies are one; by taking care of our bodies, we take care of our minds. Proper weight, exercise, stress relieving activities, proper food etc. all help with mental health.
You can not be bought
This is the a definition of self-esteem. You can consciously choose to negotiate what you will do, but you can’t be bribed or sold on your values.
You can accept ambivalence
This was the definition of mental health by one of my teachers. This is the ability to think or feel;
‘You know, you drive me crazy and at times I want to strangle you, but also I love you and these two feelings can co-exist and be felt simultaneously without me or you going bats’
P.S. - most of the time I meet 6 of 8, so I am doing OK.

And if that is the criteria (6 0r 8) then I too am doing OK, most of the time. The one I lack the most on is "significant other" but I have never really had that so I would not know how to act if I had one. I probably don't (didn't) take as good care of my body as I should but I am getting better and I can be bought. It is just that the asking price would scare most of you off. I am off to the Theater. Will post later. ARTYAL, Hugs, j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that belonging to and participating in lodge activities has relevence to seven of the eight (most significantly including the significant others part). And if you are Senior Deacon, perhaps the walking about during degree work counts toward taking care of your body. And a good meal, including desert, doesn't hurt either.

So, that all being true, you can say that being active in lodge contribute to your mental health.